70 series axle ratios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can anyone tell me a if a high ratio ring and pinion is available for 70 series axles, i would like 3.2-3.5 to 1 ratios regards steve

I know you can throw in a 3:70 but what you are after is mighty low. Why on earth would you be after that? I think you may have serious troubles moving with that gearing.

Also what might be helpful is what model of 70 series cruiser do you have? Axles and diffs changed over the years.

ratio available will depend on what type of 70 you have. Light duty axles have more options than the standard heavy duty (typically leaf sprung) axles.

What 70 are you driving?

can anyone tell me a if a high ratio ring and pinion is available for 70 series axles, i would like 3.2-3.5 to 1 ratios regards steve

In the 9.5" diffs, the common ratio is 4.11 and also 3.70. There are some factory 9.5s with 4.56, but I have only seen those on imports.

If you have the high pinion HD 70 Series Land Cruiser it will have 4.10 or 4.11 gears. There were 80 series, in the middle east market, that used 3.73 ratios.

The >1990 light duty units that we see as imports, such as the LJ78 had 4.88s.

Toyota did not make a gear ratio in anything taller than 3.70 in the Land Cruiser that I have ever seen.

~John

welcome to ih8mud

what 70 vehicle is this for (there is quite a range 70/71/73/74/75/76/77/78/79 etc and please fill in where you are from? What engine and tire sizes you running

1:3.32-3.5 is very high ratio what are you trying to push?

Running 1:4.11 is normally as HIGH as we go even with 35" sneakers on and most guys here run 33" as the largest.

Let me revive an old thread. I have a 79 series double cab with the V8 diesel engine. I am looking for a 3.5 diff ratio. Currently. I have a 3.909 in. Revs very high at highway speeds. Its a 9.5" diff. Which Toyota with same diff size uses a 3.5 ratio?

Let me revive an old thread. I have a 79 series double cab with the V8 diesel engine. I am looking for a 3.5 diff ratio. Currently. I have a 3.909 in. Revs very high at highway speeds. Its a 9.5" diff. Which Toyota with same diff size uses a 3.5 ratio?

no one that I'm aware of .. and keeping in mind that you have 9.5" rear and 8" HP front ..

Actually I'm kinda surprise you have 3.90 .? I was under the impression that all 70 series are 4.10 and up ..

no one that I'm aware of .. and keeping in mind that you have 9.5" rear and 8" HP front ..

Actually I'm kinda surprise you have 3.90 .? I was under the impression that all 70 series are 4.10 and up ..

3.909 is the ratio for V8.
Look into diy, you have everything inside.

There are supposedly some mythical 3.58:1 ratio r&p for the 80 series according to toyodiy. Europe spec hdj80 if i remember correctly. They can be made to fit the 79 carrier with a bit of work, although I have never seen that ratio in person.

Ps. I was running 3.73's out of an 80 in my 79.

Thanks Locked. Even the 3.73 will decrease the revs enough.

There are supposedly some mythical 3.58:1 ratio r&p for the 80 series according to toyodiy. Europe spec hdj80 if i remember correctly. They can be made to fit the 79 carrier with a bit of work, although I have never seen that ratio in person.

Ps. I was running 3.73's out of an 80 in my 79.

Hi
Bit off topic but I'm.stuck with a hzj75 rear diff that decided to retire suddenly
.. I have hzj79 series I bought for parts my question is can I change the front diff from my 79 to the rear of my 75?
P.s I found out the long hard way that the rear diff in the 79 wouldn't fit my 75
Cheers

I have hzj79 series I bought for parts my question is can I change the front diff from my 79 to the rear of my 75?

The 79 series has a 8" diff and the 75 series rear is 9.5" The ratios are also different. 4.111 vs 4.3 79 series

If you are in Australia you should be accessing the free parts manual to cross reference parts like this.

pm sent

OK, so I have a 76, with 4.3 ratio diffs , high pinion front and both e-locked. Is there a LC70** model that I can swap out to 4.1 diffs with. retain my e locking and high front. It sounds like a lot of works/money for such a small difference, but after replacing the R151 gearbox with a H150, this would bring me back to almost the same gearing as before with the R151.

Anyone??
G

OK, so I have a 76, with 4.3 ratio diffs , high pinion front and both e-locked. Is there a LC70** model that I can swap out to 4.1 diffs with. retain my e locking and high front. It sounds like a lot of works/money for such a small difference, but after replacing the R151 gearbox with a H150, this would bring me back to almost the same gearing as before with the R151.

Anyone??
G

Hdj78/79 have 4.1 which are a direct fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom