70 series axle in a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I need a park brake set-up in my 74 40 because of the h55 install. Could not find the appropriate 40 axle but got a 70 series axle. From my reading there seems to be conflicting info. Some say they are the same dimension as the 40 some say 1-2 mm longer on the long side. I plan on putting my 40 shafts and 3rd in there to keep the 4:11. has anybody done this before? same axle bearing as the 40? If not the same length I should beable to remove the extra from the long side....right?
From my reading the axle splines are different from early 40 series to the 70 series 3rd so my 3rd would not work with the 70 series axle shafts?

Thanks,
Daryl

Hi All:

IIRC the 70 Series rearend is like an inch or two wider that a 40 Series rear.

That said, your '74 FJ40 third member will fit the 70 Sereis rear axle, but you will need to use the 70 Series axle shafts (they are longer than the 40 Series.)

Well, maybe its only the long-side axle is longer, and the short-side is the same as the 40 Series?? I don't remember! Maybe "Crushers" or Lowenbrau" will see this thread! :D

Good luck!

Alan

I have a 70 series rear FF in the '76. If it is a FF axle, you can drop an 80 series locker third in there. If it is a FF axle, you might not be able to put a SF third in there as the diff cover is not removable and you wouldn't be able to get to the C-clips. I think the spring perches are in the right position, so you might not have to move those, but I can't remember, so you may want to measure that

The axle housing is a little longer, about an inch or so wider. I had Poly Performance make me some Chro Moly long spline axles, but I still have the OEM 30-spline, long spline axle shafts and can shoot you the lengths if you need.

Mine is a drum axle, but (Barry in Greensboro (rutbeer) has a disc 70 series axle. Search some of his threads, he has some with info on the front and rear 70 series axles on his 40

I took everything apart today to compare. The early 40 series long and short axles are the identical length to the 70 series! :clap:The differance between the 2 housings is that the 70 is about 1 inch wider. Now this is where it gets weird...if you put the 40 series axle with the shafts installed next to the 70 series axle with the shafts installed the hub to hub measurement is only about 1/4 inch longer with the 70 series! The differance is where the 70 series backplate is mounted deeper over the axle housing.
In conclusion all I have to change to make the 70 series axle fit my 40 is remove the spring/shock perch from the 40 axle and mount it to the 70 axle housing. The 70 does not have shock mounts:hmm:.

just figured I would post so it may help someone else.

Oh yea...this is a semi floating axle so differant from a FF

:cheers:
Daryl

Last edited:
If it is a FF axle, you can drop an 80 series locker third in there. If it is a FF axle, you might not be able to put a SF third in there as the diff cover is not removable and you wouldn't be able to get to the C-clips.

If it is a FF axle there aren't any c-clips required, therefore the diff cover is welded instead of bolted. the third member has nothing to do with this

thirds are interchangeable between SF axles and FF axles, this includes rear only 80 series E-Lockers. only thing required is that ratios be matched front to rear

Yeah, got the FF with an 80 series E-locker third in mine, it is the friggin balls;)

A 60 axle is only 3" wider than the 40. 1.5" per side. It doesn't take much to move the spring pads and make it fit.
A lot easier than the front (out boarding)

A 60 axle is only 3" wider than the 40. 1.5" per side. It doesn't take much to move the spring pads and make it fit.
A lot easier than the front (out boarding)

Because the left, long side is where Toyota added the extra 3" doesn't that make it harder moving the right spring pad a 1 1/2" towards the area it widens for the diff?

Didn't see you need not only a full floating rear axle for a rear E locker but also a long spline short side for the back. 40/60/70 the short side is the same. 80 series short side axle is longer and will not work in a 70 series axle.

My 40 is at GR Auto in Traverse City so I cant photo it. You can see photos of the rear end on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom