70 Products -- TRAIL TAILOR

joekatana

GOLD Star

I think solid bestsellers would be
-skidplates ( diy package ?)
-sliders ( diy package ? )
-metal bolt in tailgate for those summer days when you want to take the frp off and you don’t want to spend a 1000$ on a set of oem half doors or cut up your full size doors. ( I think Crushers once made an aluminum of these and kept the oem body lines )

Interior panels can be a headache as there are several different versions in the 7x models.
As for that radiator protector in 25 years of wheeling 7x models I never damaged a radiator from the bottom .

just my 2 cents

joekatana

GOLD Star

x2 on one piece aluminum tailgate. Drop down preferred but side opening is fine too.
I would already be happy with a one piece that bolts in and does not open , no rattles and a much simpler (cheaper) design.

FJBen

SILVER Star

Tailgate would be great.

I have started my own,but I do like the option from someone who knows what they are doing.

a fold Down would be awesome just to be able to use for sitting, cooking etc.

Last edited:

Hugh Heifer

Chasing the Beast

I have to agree with Joe as well. I like the idea of a tail gate. Something that uses existing hinge bolt holes.
A skid plate would be great to replace the sheet metal one. I was thinking a design similar to the one the IPOR sells or sold for 40s.
Front bash plate to protect our valuable and unobtanium radiators.
I REALLY want a set of frame mounted sliders for my BJ73 but those require modification to the exhaust.
Also, I know you know this, there are so many different 7Xs out there, you may have to pick and choose which you support - other than the BJ73 which you will certainly make everything for. ;)
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor

Interior panels are looking to be problematic. I don't want several versions sitting around for years. I may just offer the ones I can make when a 70 comes into the shop and can confirm hit.

Tailgate sounds to be an item I'm interested in. @joekatana or anyone else have a pic of this, maybe an old thread or post from Crushers or anyone else that has made one.

I make what I call a "CREEPER" skid plate that replaces the transmission crossmember and protects the oil pan and TC in one unit. Strong enough to jack an 80 or 100 off the ground with. Rubicon and Metal Masher proven on many 80s. I'll look at this for the 74 coming in.

80 CREEPER - no ground clearance loss.

IMAG0647.jpg

@joekatana you have one or a few of my OLD 70 rear bumper DIY kits. These were before I had CNC bending and cutting capabilities. I'm not sure if a DIY bumper kit will make it back tot he market. Too many questions and "what-ifs" also everyone has a different view of DIY...

The CREEPER skid could easily be a DIY kit.

Slider DIY is a tough one. By the time we cut and prep all the angles and lengths for the frame legs and braces its only welding left of course and that is the simplest part of the whole package. So pricing won't really "reflect" a discounted price coming from us for a DIY package.

OLD REAR BUMPER - This will be redesigned a bit but the general idea. @woody has one of my first run bumpers.

Woody 2.jpg
Woody 5.jpg
Woody 4.jpg
Woody 3.jpg

I never got around to making a front bumper. Ideas/pics are welcome on this product. It will be a plate design. I don't make any tube bumpers.

J

joekatana

GOLD Star

The rear panels for the 73/74 changed for the left rear side around 1990 when they redesigned the left rear inner wheelwell. Front doors and rear doors are all the same minus some mounting holes for the armrest and power windows or not , these holes can be added by the customer I think.

Biggest reason for preferring diy kits is the easier and cheaper shipping plus no chance of scratching it up which should make your life a lot easier ;)
Really liked those rear bumpers I got from you in the past, looking forward to see what will make it in to production.
joe

hoser

SILVER Star

I would already be happy with a one piece that bolts in and does not open , no rattles and a much simpler (cheaper) design.
Whichever way is fine with me. However, I would still need to modify it to open for my drawers. And a drop down tailgate is a table I don't have to carry.

Some of you know I have a BJ74 coming in for custom work and R&D. What other parts are you interested in?

Will happen for sure:

Front and rear bumpers
Sliders
Roof Rack ( FRP and HT -I already make these)

A few have requested:
Recovery/Tow points
Front skid plates
Shock guards

Please chime in on what you'd like to see come to market. If enough interest I'll start my R&D from greatest interest to least.

Thanks

Jason
Dude. So exciting. Seriously, roll cage with rear seat belts and a rear set belt kit. Can be the back half like the factory Euro rear, or even better some sort of slick cage that integrates into the factory "roll bar" thingy and hides in the front, kinda like what you see with modern set ups for JK Wranglers. It would be so excellent to have something classy and safe back there for the kiddos, there aren't many options outside of full custom or cobbling together a factory one.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor

Ok... well.... s***.... I got really excited there I really like your stuff... what about an "interior tube assembly for mounting of accessories for off road use only" that happens to have seat belts? ;)
We've been able to rename a couple of parts and sell parts in a divided offering and they allow that. However, it took years to get them to "approve" that. Anything that is a "hitch-towing" or "rollover" protection or devices are prohibited by my policies. I've tried a few times before on both of these.

I'm allowed to sell bent tubes for assembly and welding by others but as soon as I add a saddle/notch to a tube for them to fit together they throw the red flag on me.

J

Top Bottom