70 FJ40 OME install questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser804

SILVER Star
Threads
Noticed over the last year the OME bushing on the 40 were coming apart. This thing is mostly a garage queen do it doesn't see a lot of miles so I was surprised by the deterioration. Its 2.5 Dakar lift. So I decided to replace them. As I was installing the rear of the springs I noticed that the 14mm bolts that old the pin in place actually extend through the bracket and pressing on the spring. Don't seem right. I didn't do the original installation but I'm guessing these bolts are not correct. So I guess my questions are 1.) would this cause the bushings to deteriorate like this (can the wrong guess do this?) and 2.) if these re the stock bolts do the OME pins require a different length bolt? (thinking, maybe but definitely one shorter that this.)

IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg

Those are the locator bolts. I just went through this myself. The ones I removed were bent, mangled and pretty useless. I’m waiting on some replacements. I think a 8x1.25x16mm length bolt will fit, without interfering with the spring.

So are they supposed to contact the spring? Seems like these are pushing the spring too far to the inside.

I dont know if they are supposed to touch the spring. In my case, the bolts were interfering with the old spring and were bent and chewed up by the spring. I replaced a couple of them with the shortest 8mm bolt I had on hand. I think those bolts are just there to help guide the pin into the bracket.

Yeah, that makes sense, Wonder why are they so long? Maybe the question is are the OME springs wider than stock? I guess either way need shorter bolts.

Last edited:
Took a hack saw to them. Fixed

Last edited:
I just put in mine this past weekend. The kit came with shorter bolts. Cutting them off would be an easy option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom