70 FJ40, 35" Spare tire on OEM carrier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsaint

Don't Assume I Know The Basics...
SILVER Star
Threads
Any of you guys with the stock/OEM spare tire carrier running an oversized (33-35") spare? How did you get it mounted on the carrier? Extend the studs?

It was easy on my 76, guy on Mud (Shane) was selling an extended carrier. 79 carrier is a different animal though, friend is trying to get this figured out.

Searched but not a whole lotta luck on the later year models. Or i wasn't searching with the right keywords...

Thanks

I have a 37" tire mounted on the stock carrier. Made a spacer from two steel plates and a steel tube with the appropriate holes and studs. Also added plates on the inside of the body where the mount bolts on and a gusset inside on the top mount that attaches to the roll cage mount on top of the wheel well. That tire is big and heavy. Been running it that way for several years now without problems. I still check it now and then for stress cracks.

You can buy a spacer with built in studs - be wary of the extra weight/moment on the carrier because the weight is further away from the body. Not to mention a 35" tire is much heavier than stock

I didnt have 35's but for a 31 I just put 1" spacers behind the carrier

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom