Events/Trails 7 Trails of Gold Event , Grants New Mexico May 31st - June 2nd, 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some folks are staying at the KOA, some are staying at various motels, Quality Inn, Super 8. If some are dry camping in the forests, I don't where they would be. All rides each day will start in Grants, but no specific point/time has been mentioned yet. I will post information here, as soon I get it.

My family and I would like to camp in the surrounding NF, but I'm wondering how that will work with meet up times for trail runs in the morning. For instance if the meet times are 8am in Grants, I'll have a challenge ahead of me getting three ladies up, fed, dressed and out of camp in time each morning.

We're bringing canines too, and many of the hotels are dog friendly but it would suck to spend that money when I'd rather be out under the stars anyway.

Watching closely here and elsewhere for updates.

I have not received any times or start location information. I will post that info when I get it. Keep watching for updates.

More info attached.

Attachments

• Event Announcement_ 7 Trails of Gold Trailfest - déjà vu Edition, 31 May 2019.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 96
We have started assigning trails to the designated trail Leaders for each day. Once this is completed , the next step will be to designate where each ride starts from, each day, and the start time, each day. If you have registered , NMOHVA should be giving updates on details for this event, and I will post here anything I learn.

Here is what I know about the trails offered each day for this event.

There will be 4 or so trails offered each day, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Look at the trail information for each trail. Pick several trails you might like to do over the weekend. Not all trails can be offered each day, so at a drivers meeting , each day's trail offerings will be announced and you can line up behind the day's trail leader . We hope to have the trails being offered all weekend on Friday , so you can plan your rides for the rest of the weekend.

The meeting place is the KOA, 26 Cibola Sands Loop , just off Hwy 53, just south of I-40. 4x4's will line up in front of the KOA along this short Loop road, beginning at 8:30 am each day. A short drivers meeting will follow and rides will leave for each trailhead about 9:00 am.
Full tank of GAS, Food and H2O, Dress for mountain weather. There is still snow near the top of Mt Taylor. Bring food for a lunch stop on the trail. Plan on all day rides. Air down at start of dirt roads , air up at return to pavement.

No alcohol on the ride. Enjoy your favorite beverage after the ride.

Many of the rides need to be started at 9:00 am to get people back into Grants by the mid to late afternoon. There can be issues that happen on trails , so we have to expect some delays sometimes.

I plan to lead Rinconada, Mt Sedgwick, and go on McKenzie Ridge. Just not sure which days yet.

C B radio is good to have , but not required. I will have HAM radio, but CB will be what most trail leaders will have.

Any questions , ask away.
Let me know if you are signed up , so I can let you know of any changes. I would like to know who is going from our club.
This is a loose easy going event. Not highly structured. It is the first year for 4x4's , so we are seeing what works and hope to make this an annual event.
Much is happening in Grants, NM all weekend, so check out the event information. Food, music, Car shows and more.

I forgot to mention that good trail information is on the NM4W.org web site. Under calendar , 7 Trails of Gold event. This should help you decide which trails you want to do. Be prepared with several choices , in case one that you picked is not offered on each day.

If any new information comes in, I will post here ASAP. See you there.:steer:⛅🌦

Thanks for the details Jeff! I’m signed up and paid, but my schedule may get fouled up so not sure if I’ll be there all days or not, and not sure which vehicle yet. I’d rather camp too, just me n puppy so easy to be at koa 8:30

We will see you on which ever days you are there. Glad you can make it , Grant.
One new detail :
The Sat night NMOHVA meal is at Route 66 Brewery. NMOHVA will serve a full meal at this place as part of your sign on fee. Good food and micro brewery beer. Should be fun.

For those signed up to do this event, you will be receiving an e mail from NMOHVA soon. This will have information about the Sat night Dinner at Route 66 Brewery, at 6:00 pm, a coupon for an event t shirt and where to get it. And more.

Registration/ sign in for event will be at Main city park on the main street ( Old Route 66) through downtown, at the NMOHVA booth on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. The park is where most of the weekend festivities are happening.

There is still time to sign up on NMOHVA site, a few spots left for 4x4's. About 32 4x4's signed up so far.

My steering rack went out yesterday. Leaking bad now and it will just about jerk the wheel out of my hand driving on my road. I will order a new rack from Lexus on Tuesday, but there isnt much chance it will be fixed by the weekend.

If it is possible for someone to take my place the entry is already paid

I will order a new rack from Lexus on Tuesday, ...

I'm going to guess you are having a problem with the GX since the LX is nothing but a 100-series.

[the blah, blah, blah]

I would see if you can get the part number from Lexus. Ask for a quote, or something. I'm willing to bet it's the same part used on 4Runners, and the rack will be a whole lot cheaper from AmToy with our discount. AmToy had it in stock when
Steve replaced his.

Try this too. Go to parts catalog lexus, original catalog lexus, online catalog lexus, Car catalog lexus. Pick your model and stuff, and you should be able to pick the part number from there. Then run the part number through someplace like Camelback Toyota and see if it comes up as a good Toyota number. If you need help with this call me. I do it all the time. Running it through Camelback will even tell you what Toyota models it's used on.

[end blah, blah, blah]

New part number: 44200-35070.
Reman: 44200-35070-84 ($596.60 list, should be around $450+MLG at AmToy). Also used on Gen4 4Runner.

Lexus GX.jpg

Nah, its the LX. I actually get a better discount at Lexus than the HDC discount at Toyota. For my LX it is the same rack as a Toyota, but I am pretty sure the later ones with VGRS are Lexus only

Thanks for checking for me though.

Good luck with this repair, Virgil.

I have had an emergency. My wife's Mom is in the hospital with a lumbar fracture and is in much pain. We will have to be here for her care and arranging a place for her to stay after she is discharged . Because of this , we will NOT be going to Grants NM this next weekend for this NMOHVA event. Sure hate to miss this , but life happens.....

If you are going to this event, 4x4's meet at 8:30 am each morning at the KOA Grants, NM. Rides leave at 9:00 am Each days offered rides will be announced each morning.
Trail leaders will be there early to answer any of your questions.
Have fun and enjoy some 4LOW driving.

Family first, Jeff! I hope she has a quick recovery!

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. I hope she gets back on her feet quickly, and as Grant said... family first.

Thanks again for all the help with planning and trail info.

Day 1: excellent!
V8 FJ40, V8 Blazer on 40’s & a lotta jeeps, but really good guys

BC5CB26B-9A82-4A42-95EA-14631166F1D4.jpeg

Looks like it was a beautiful day out there!

Need MORE pics!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom