Events/Trails 7 Trails of Gold Event , Grants New Mexico May 31st - June 2nd, 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a NMOHVA sponsored event in Grants, NM. Check out the NMOHVA website for more details.
www.nmohva.org

This event is open to all off road vehicles, including 4x4's . Limited to 150 total vehicles/motorcycles. On a first come , first served basis. Registration will begin the first part of April 2019. Last year's event was canceled because of dry conditions in the National forests around Grants, NM, but with more snow pack this year , the event has a better chance to happen.
The Forest roads in the Zuni and Mt Taylor areas will be used, and participants can sign up for a different ride each day. Motels, RV parks and dry camping are available, for the weekend, along with NMOHVA events are planned.

I signed up last year to lead some rides and drove a few of the roads , last summer. There are some fun loops in that area.
Grants NM is supportive of all things off road, and the town is looking for new ways to bring in those tourist $$$$$$.
Keep an eye on the NMOHVA website, and I will update info as I get it.

Yes , I plan to lead trails everyday, just have to wait until they post the list and have a sign up leader list. I think there are trail descriptions on NMOHVA site under this event. There great routes in Mt Taylor and the Zunis, from easy to hard. We were planning to motel it last year, but some people where camping in the forest and driving into Grants to line up for their chosen trail . The 150 spots will go fast , once they are posted, as the trail leaders/ tailgunners are counted in the 150 total. 150 is some number the forest service has capped the ride to. Fuzzy math, I suppose...

I was wrong. Look on NM4w.org , Calendar, Scroll down to 7 Trails of Gold . Lots of information about this event. Trail descriptions , etc.

I will post a note as soon as possible , when I know it is time to sign up.

I'll be keeping an eye on this as the time draws closer. Sounds like it could be a fun weekend. The Canyon Rinconada and McKenzie Ridge runs sound like fun.

Last edited:
I have done both of those , and they are good fun. Mckenzie ridge is fun, some play areas along the way. your rig needs 33 inch tires for some of the trail. I was in between 4x4's , several years ago when I did this one. All I had was 31 inch tires on my GMC Canyon. I got hung underneath a couple of times and needed to be pulled off the rock . Glad I had skidplates.. Rinconada is a great climb up the side of a rugged lava mesa. Great view. Stock rigs with good tires , aired down, will get you to the top. We spotted a few folks and everybody did fine.
Mt Taylor summit has great views, I want to climb Mt Sedgwick, never been to that summit. Some others , I have not done. It's all good.
I am watching for the sign up list.

I did Rinconada last year in my 80 , open diffs, 33 inch tires , made it to the top.

Keep an eye on the NMOHVA website, for registration information for this event. Should be able to start sign up sometime in the next week or so. First come, first served for limited number of spots.

It is time to register for the 7 Trails of Gold Event , on the NMOHVA website . Click on 7 trails event and register. . Payment is by credit card or Paypal.
Only 50 slots available for 4x4's, . 8 are already taken.

Through NM4W , I will be leading 3 days of trails, and at some point each registrant will be able to select each day's trail. I will post my trails , here, as soon as I know the ones I will lead, but you can book which trails you may want to go on, each day.
I will have CB and HAM . But some rides will be CB only. Some may have a HAM person leading.

Your registration goes to support NMOHVA. Motels, RV parks and dry camping are available in the Grants area. The town is also doing a several days event in the park in Grants, at the same time.
Hope that lots of NMHDC folks show up, and other Toyota 4x4's. Great trails in a wonderful part of NM. There are folks coming from out of state to do this event. Join in the FUN!!!!

I went ahead and registered for the event. Should be a good time.

BTW, on the various event pages/descriptions it states that a t-shirt is included with event registration, however while registering I as prompted to choose whether or not I wanted to purchase one or multiple t-shirts at $10 each.

I just signed up for this. I have never explored that area before. I will look forward to it.

I agree that the t shirt choice was confusing, but I read it as you get one t shirt with registration and you can order more t shirts at $10 each. I got one for my wife. So, we should get 2 t shirts. I got a meal ticket for her, also. So, we should have 2 meals tickets , as one meal ticket comes with registration.

Looks like I should be able to go to this. I went ahead and registered. I'm gonna have to get to work on skid plates and sliders.

Done! Thanks Jeff!

I agree that the t shirt choice was confusing, but I read it as you get one t shirt with registration and you can order more t shirts at $10 each. I got one for my wife. So, we should get 2 t shirts. I got a meal ticket for her, also. So, we should have 2 meals tickets , as one meal ticket comes with registration.

I had a second look, and the NM4W site seems to indicate that the t-shirt is NOT included in the registration fee. No big deal either way, as I'm sure they will have extra shirts for sale on site if there is a misunderstanding. I'm there for the wheeling, and to support a good cause, not the t-shirt.

2 meal tickets and a 1 year membership to NMOHVA at checkout on my end. Thought about grabbing a couple meals for the kids, but they can just share our plates. I'm looking forward to seeing you all out there.

Checking the NMOHVA site for this event , it says with registration you will receive a t shirt , Sat night meal ticket and decals.
I think I heard t shirts will be sold at the Grants Celebration all weekend, too. At the city park, there will be food, local beers, and live entertainment going on all weekend, so the fun keeps going, once you get off the trail.
Anyway ,it is all for a good cause, and we need to support an off road event that is in New Mexico. There are some really nice areas to explore in this area of our state.

Registration is going fast, but only 19 4x4's are registered , so far. If motorcycles and ATV's continue to go faster, NMOHVA will allocate more spaces for those groups soon. That would close off any more 4x4 spots for this event. If you can decide soon, please register ASAP. If you cannot do all 3 days, you can just participate in 1 or 2 days.
Hope to see you on the trails.

@krazykat69, I may have glazed over it but is there designated camping for this event? What do most people do? Camp or find lodging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom