7-Pin Trailer Brake Controller, Brake pedal switch splice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've posted in the trailer section, but I guess its a little bit slow in there... Anyhow this is an 80 Series specific question so I'm hoping that I'll get more luck here...

I'm trying to figure out what wire to splice into on the brake pedal switch. There appears to be 2 red and 2 green wires. The instructions indicate that I should be splicing into the cold wire. Access is rather limited, so if anyone knows off hand which one to use then that would save me some grief in trying to figure out which one is cold.

As an aside, has anyone spliced into an easier access location?

I think mine was one of the green wires.. I just remember it was tight and a big PITA

Once I get home I will snap a pic

I'm doing the same thing today. If anyone has an answer to OP question, that would be great!

Doing a search on the 80 forum showed a few posts saying green/white stripe..Ill look at mine in the morning and see which I used

Did this last summer. Wanted to post a how-to and lost my photos with a computer rebuild :bang:.

You guys are right. Driver-side kick panel. Large rectangular plug. Green wire with white stripe. The red wire is my splice. Used a razor blade to carefully shave insulation off (1/4 inch). Open up and wrap 7 pin brake line around exposed (vehicle) brake wire. Solder and wrap with tape.

First photo is the wire harness with the kick panel removed. The second photo shows the brake wire (green/white stripe)

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

Last edited:
Any reason to not use vampire taps? I will be doing a 7 blade plus trailer brake controller install very soon myself.

I also did this job recently and tapped into the wire on the drivers side kick panel. I just put a tester on the wire to check for continuity to make sure I had the right one. Much easier than working up around the switch by the pedal. I just stripped a bit of the insulation off and soldered on the wire I was tapping in. Not sure if there is a better way, but my break controller works just fine.

Any reason to not use vampire taps? I will be doing a 7 blade plus trailer brake controller install very soon myself.

An option but that harness has a LOT of wires on it. I'm not sure of the gauge but I'd guess they are around 20-22 (very thin). I was worried any sort of tap would cut the wire in half.

I just bought the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller and avoided the whole mess of splicing. The thing works flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom