7" LED Headlights : quick review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased a set of 7" LED lights from ToyotaMatt for my FJ60 - the magilla including the factory harness plus the glass Koito headlights with LED bulbs

No affiliation whatsoever, this appealed to me as I was trying to keep the headlights looking stock.

Also, sharing the beam pattern, which is quite good, with a sharp cutoff on low beams and very bright high beams.

Don't know the lux levels here, crazy bright relative to the old barely there halogens. I've spent a lot of time watching the video reviews on youtube etc. Truck-Lite and JW Speaker were also options, but they didn't have the factory harness.

Low beam light pattern:
OppttyI2R4eLX60ybBJtAQ.jpg

High beam pattern:
ZptV4t7eSAyh34L5kh4qww.jpg

How are they on the road and how do they look to oncoming drivers? Biggest challenge with led or hid bulb inserts in h4 housings is getting the led/hid bulb lined up properly with the optics. Before we had LEDs we had hid bulb kits for h4 housings. Though the put out a lot of light the also blinded all oncoming traffic because the just weren’t designed well enough.

It's a good question. So far, I believe they are okay because of the cutoff. I'm planning a test where I drive a different car in front of the 60, and see how things look in the rearview and side mirrors. Also curious and will do a head-on test. Though from what I've seen, the LED bulb low-beam is designed with some small reflectors to work in the housing and create the sharp cutoff.

I'd also say, new LEDs in many makes are way too bright/cutoffs are too high. Newer Acuras especially - they always seem to blind me.

Will take some pics and report back. Big snow headed our way, so may be able to get some snow reflecting beam pattern pics also.

Gundo

If those are the OEM iterations (81110-60P70) the LEDs will not provide enough heat to melt snow accumulation when driving.

You will have zero lights when snow accumulates... like with the storm we have coming tomorrow.

Give it a try and report back. I had this issue with LEDs before and ended up getting the heated-element style TruckLite LEDs for my 70.

And then I got rid of LEDs altogether because they blow in rain and snow. Went back to 81110-60P70’s with regular H4 bulbs.

Jeep guys complain about this all day long on their annoyingly bright newer OEM LED headlights.

Flaws being significant in that the 7" round LEDs are mounted vertically, get little heat or wind, are recessed and and not heated, all of which leads to very quick snow accumulation

This is definitely worse when weather relatively warm and snow is wet and heavy.

Conversely, if cold and dry, with no salt/magchlor on roads, halogens can ice-up and LEDs will exhibit little buildup.

i has become more and more apparent that when i hand build each set personally , i no must set and align the diodes as i have been , but now a method of immobilizing them in place is a final must have step ?

i am gonna start out with 2 small dabs of GE marine clear silicoln and see if that has the holding power to prevent unitended dioed rotate whe the user inastalls, or i pack the box , so much bubble wrap

its totally awsome to get post install and field test feedback by my valued clients , constructive in nature or the like

thanks @Gundo

7903 - Copy1.jpg

Last edited:
We can send a satellite past Pluto but can’t make decent head lights ! Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom