7.7 horse boat motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a big ass hog (7.7 horse) that I slap on the back of my 14' aluminum water vessel for fishing. The thing was given to me along with the boat for free. The thing is a little hard to start but once you get it going it runs ok for like 5 to 7 minutes. After that it dies, and with one pull you can fire it back up for about 20 seconds. I kow this is tech but I dont know where to post this. Does this sound like it is overheating? How can I tell if it is water cooled or air cooled? Anybody else have a motor like this? Who fishes.....<--- attempts at chat. Sorry if boats offend

If the gas tank is vented, you need to open the vent while underway. You are probably creating a suction in the tank and starving for fuel. BTDT;)

Ed

First, check the fuel line for air leaks. If not that, I would say something in the carb needs fixing. How old and what make is the motor?

EDIT: what /\ he /\ said.

I dont know what year or make the motor is. I think that their is a tag that says kansas city mototr company. It looks like a relic. I like little boats like this because you can run over crap with it and not really care. Plus it is all that I can afford right now.

As Degnol has asked...are you running a separate gas tank for the motor? And if so, prior to using the motor, did you slightly unscrew the vent cap to allow it to breathe?

If it's water cooled (very likely), then you will see a steady stream of water spitting out the rear below the engine. If it's plugged and you can't see the stream of water, trust me, the motor will sieze up pretty quick and you won't be able to crank it at all.