7.5hp compressor - too big? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering a 7.5 hp compressor to power a blast cabinet in my home garage. I have single phase 200 amp service, suburban neighborhood. I was all set to buy it when I came across some threads about dimming neighbors lights at start up and and issues with electric providers limiting motor sizes in residential areas. Is this really a concern? i think any limitations by the provider are more because they can’t accurately meter and bill, than safety related. Can’t imagine it will draw more than 60-70 amps at startup and only for a second or two. Any one running a large compressor on a single phase service box in a home garage? I sort of assumed this was common.

I have heard that in places where your utility can and do place restrictions on high load devices on residential service, its not that uncommon actually.

You can very likely find the SCFM that you need at well beyond the PSI your cabinet needs with a 5hp 1ph power ( I can think of 3 that will deliver 17+ SCFM at 175psi all day long with 5hp motors) ..... You dont always need more HP, its the pump it self that is more of a concern, what Compressor were you considering????

Thanks for the reply! Found a lightly used single phase IR 2475N7.5 for under $1000. Used to work hydraulics in a drywall plant that went under after less than 6 months of operation. Seems in perfect condition, but I agree a 5hp motor would work just fine, I was going to get a Quincy 5hp before the IR came up for sale. The IR is a bit more compressor for quite a bit less money, though it comes used with no guarantees.

Thats BIG pump..... quick googleage says its 24scfm at 175psi, and pulls 40 amps and 3450 RPM motor so its likey about an 850 rpm pump...... THAT will keep up fine with your cabinet, as well likely every other thing you have at once. In the photos I have seen of that family I dont see head unloaders on it, so that will be your power spike at start up.

Yeah, it’s big. I may still just stick with a smaller compressor. Thanks for the input!

I am considering a 7.5 hp compressor to power a blast cabinet in my home garage. I have single phase 200 amp service, suburban neighborhood. I was all set to buy it when I came across some threads about dimming neighbors lights at start up and and issues with electric providers limiting motor sizes in residential areas. Is this really a concern? i think any limitations by the provider are more because they can’t accurately meter and bill, than safety related. Can’t imagine it will draw more than 60-70 amps at startup and only for a second or two. Any one running a large compressor on a single phase service box in a home garage? I sort of assumed this was common.

I have the IR 2475N7.5 in my garage. It's wired to a 100 amp sub-panel also in the garage. My house has 200 amp service. The compressor will (on occasion) 'dim' the house lights briefly upon startup. Probably depends on how many other electrical devices are being used at the time it cycles. You won't be sorry going with the biggest compressor (and tank) you can get to fit in your space.

20191020_061210.jpg

I also have a large blast cabinet:

Blaster.jpg

You will need a lot of air (CFM) to run a big blast cabinet. Mine uses every bit of that 24 cfm the IR puts out. And it will still continually cycle during extended use. My cabinet does have a 24 cfm gun, so if I went to a smaller gun, it might not cycle as much. But they are air hogs. And the IR will put out a lot of heat. I tend to do the majority of my blasting in the fall/winter/spring, as the compressor will heat up the interior of the garage quite a bit.

You will want to mount the compressor to the concrete. Use some isolation pads. Also, plumb in a drain for the tank before you get it fastened down to the floor. You'll thank me later....

I installed a Quincy 5 Hp in my house a couple years ago and have a small blasting cabinet from TP tools. I only use the medium nozzle and the compressor is adequate, but if you plan to do alot of blasting then go with the bigger compressor. FWIW - My Quincy overheats when I do significant blasting, and it fogs up the garage. For all of the marketing hype of Quincy and their 50,000 hour pumps, I'm very disappointed in the machine. Their "no bull" warranty is also so-so. I called their customer service, described the problem, but didn't get any action on their part. Quincy is great for air tools but just ok for blasting (which requires alot of air).

I have a IR 5hp dual stage 220vac at the house. Never have I ever said "****, this is just too much air"! :rofl: Always go for the biggest compressor your breaker panel can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom