7.3 Powerstroke diesel swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

helocat

Tube is your buddy!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.metaltech4x4.com
7.3 Powerstroke diesel swap?

I have an inside line on a commercial 2005 7.3 Powerstroke diesel w/ auto trany and transfer case sporting under 2K miles, possibly at a real good price. Anyone know anything or seen anything on installing one of these motors in something else? Thinking new DD and cruiser tow rig (yes 1 ton running gear). Just looking for any wisdom on what’s involved with making the motor and trany think its still in the OE truck. Anyone know of any BBS on this topic?

Mark

www.thedieselstop.com - that's my best guess, seems like a bunch of old retired dudes who pull their 5th wheels around to me but...

yes, very cool site. you can get some good information there. be sure to tell them what it came out of, so they know what kind of sensors you will be deail with.

keep us in tune with your project.

good luck

You'll need some good height in the engine bay (SOA/good SUA lift) and probably some AAL or heavier spings in the front to keep the front end from sagging. Otherwise sound like a good swap. I have a free pre-Powerstroke 7.3 sitting at home waiting for a swap.

measure the auto and tcase.. It is looong......

but cool, get it in a RIG!!!

Wouldn't the 2005 be the new 6.0? Last 7.3 came in late 2003, all 2004 and newer should be 6.0 or did the 450+ and E series stick with 7.3? Probably makes a big difference in ECM and such and 6.0 is EGR and completely different casting than 7.3. 6.0 is probably lighter and more compact but my '02 7.3 barely fits inside the F-250 - not much fun to work on in a full size truck let alone a Toyota.

Maybe you are holding out on us and have the tube chassis in the works huh :D

bah pull a Monster Garage.......bolt a seat, steering wheel, and front and rear ends to it

Baddabing

it would probaly be a lot easier to just go with a cummins even though you have a truck picked out. if your going to spend some time and $$$$ might as well get a beat dodge and get an nv4500 or 5600 out of the deal. plus pre 98.49 you won't have any computer bull****.

My $.02

haystax said:
Wouldn't the 2005 be the new 6.0? Last 7.3 came in late 2003, all 2004 and newer should be 6.0 or did the 450+ and E series stick with 7.3? Probably makes a big difference in ECM and such and 6.0 is EGR and completely different casting than 7.3. 6.0 is probably lighter and more compact but my '02 7.3 barely fits inside the F-250 - not much fun to work on in a full size truck let alone a Toyota.

Maybe you are holding out on us and have the tube chassis in the works huh :D

I thought the same thing when I was told it had a 7.3 in it. Apparently the Ford commercial tucks still get the 7.3. It would be a wagon platform to start with for the length. I of course don’t mind busting out the plasma and making things open up if needed. Yes the suspension would be all custom just for the weight of the motor. No 9000lb buggy. This would be a DD and tow rig a/c and all.

Mace did you say the 1 ton rear ends in Fords are Sterling and not D60?

Quite honestly I was thinking of just using the whole drive train, wiring and everything right out of the donor. (Gages and all)

The motor is not all that bad in size its just all the tubo and air intake crap making it take a large space. I keep looking at my 7.3 in my F-250 I think I could do it with fire wall mods. I am going to pursue this thing even if I keep telling myself I DON’T have any free time for a big project. (Why I am still in the shop at 12:31 AM right now, ug got’a get back out there.) If anything I am sure I can sell the motor/trany/t-case for what I pay for the whole rig. This leaves the 1 ton axels on the shop floor.

Mark

haystax said:
www.thedieselstop.com - that's my best guess, seems like a bunch of old retired dudes who pull their 5th wheels around to me but...

Thank you! I just check them out good stuff.

Mark

Intercooler tubing is a real mess on the psd motors. I think installing a cummins 6bt would be easier.

fj40charles said:
Intercooler tubing is a real mess on the psd motors. I think installing a cummins 6bt would be easier.

Yes I keep looking at that and think it would all have to be custom bent. Good reason to buy that 4+” capacity CNC mandrel bender I have been drooling over. Make it out of some nice thin wall stainless. (Ya like I would spend the $5k+ for the 3” tooling set just to make a few custom parts!)

Hmmm I think I might go searching for the motor drawn in CAD, someone has to have it. I can then model the engine bay and figure out how/what for placement. E-Gad back to the “free time” thing, but it would make one cool tow rig.

Mark

1 ton ford should be a sterling, 35 spline big heavy strong axle...

Front shoudl be a D50 (basically a big D44 with D60 Ujoints and outers)

All Disk brakes..

Mace said:
1 ton ford should be a sterling, 35 spline big heavy strong axle...

Front shoudl be a D50 (basically a big D44 with D60 Ujoints and outers)

All Disk brakes..

Very strong rear axle! Sterling (should be a 10.5 inch) depending on the truck it is coming out of. Most gear vendors will have R&P's if you want to swap but it should be a 4.10 limited slip out of a commercial truck. 3.73's are standard in the '99+ F250 & F350 SD's. The main reason Ford went to the 6.0 was to be quieter, the 7.3 in LOUD (especialy with an open 4" exhaust :D , but I've seen an 7.3L F350 with 980K miles on it.

I didn't see in the thread what you were wanting to put this beast in. My '97 F350 humbly volunteers for that transplant ;)

i've seen a 2004 f350 with 17 miles on it getting a new motor

dylan said:
i've seen a 2004 f350 with 17 miles on it getting a new motor
What's your point...

its F*** lol

d50 or d60 front depending on gearing, well i think its still that way in 05?

Just from what i have seen those engines bring a premium still, (must be alot dieing)LOL,
like $7000+ engine alone.
Say sell it, put cummins and 6 speed for $5G finish it and decide what to do with the extra $$$$ you made and saved.

6 speed or 5 speed, 29 spline dodge input in ford drop 205 if you keep the axles.

IMO ball joints and diesel and/or heavy truck do not go together at all!!!!

:)

Dana 80 on my friend's '05 350... Nice big guts.. (pic is from my Dodge)

rearaxle1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom