7.3 or not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so my dad is replacing his 7.3L Diesel (non turbo) with a bigger engine here soon. So he is going to give me his 7.3. For those of you who don't know, these were in Ford pickups from the late 80's until they came with the powerstroke. I was just wondering if this will fit in a 40 and what I would need to make it work. I figure I will need some heavier springs in the front to support the weight of the engine and the drivetrain is a different story.

I'm not worried about the tranny/transfer/axles right now because they are going to be swapped with D44's in the near future.

I know nothing of the conversion, but your downgrading to go with D44's. Your rear axle should be fine with that engine, and your front will be fine if you do only moderate wheeling. But with the weight of that engine I would put a D60 in the front. I doubt anyone makes an adapter for that engine, however you could probably use a zf 5 spd, but then you'll have difficulty finding a xfer that is passenger drop. So if you do it, get centered rear and drivers front axles, and you could use a ford xfer. That will be one fun swap,lol. So get lots of the cold stuff.

By the way, is Kstate Ky?

[quote author=kstatecruiser link=board=12;threadid=7714;start=msg64713#msg64713 date=1069182646]
Ok, so my dad is replacing his 7.3L Diesel (non turbo) with a bigger engine here soon. So he is going to give me his 7.3. For those of you who don't know, these were in Ford pickups from the late 80's until they came with the powerstroke. I was just wondering if this will fit in a 40 and what I would need to make it work. I figure I will need some heavier springs in the front to support the weight of the engine and the drivetrain is a different story.

I'm not worried about the tranny/transfer/axles right now because they are going to be swapped with D44's in the near future.
[/quote]

go for it .... if you look in the yards you should be able to find a 5sp with a granny low :bling: :bling: and the tcase adapter would be easy too that 5sp should be a nv4500 good luck post pics... and get ear plugs if you drive with the top off ::) and get mod404 axles and run the ford xfer

The kstate is Kansas State. But anyway the D44's will be an upgrade for me. I still have 4 wheel drums and the coarse spline axles. Also I got the axles for free. I'm thinking about a t-18 tranny and a dana 20 transfer. The main thing I am worried about is the supporting the weight of the engine on the front end.

OME hd frnt springs ... or the BDS are real strong too ... you also have to worry about oil pan clearence... so maybe a soa and add-a-leaf's

Sounds like a cool conversion, keep us posted as the project progresses. Do not go with Dana 44s, as Archengine stated earlier, they are certainly a down grade, even with discs. Search the wrecking yards for Dana 60s or something stronger. Good luck with the conversion.

I'm just curious what he's replacing it with that's bigger than the 7.3? :eek:

I guess it's not bigger, he's getting "barely used" powerstroke. I'm still a little skeptical about the strength of the 44's. I got them for free so if they break, no biggie. Already have the SOA and full hydro steering, an another axle swap won't take very long, just a little welding here and there.

My Cruiser got home from its temporary Graveyard by way of an old 7.3L ford Deisel,, Dam ForD!!!!! anyway the guy had a custom turbo setup put on it back in the 80's when the got the truck and it has been driven every day since with no problembs, it has over 400K miles.. so its a good motor, i still wouldint put anything ford in a cruiser, but go with it dude!

All you need to make your coarse splined cruiser axles easily better than D44's and keep toyota (although I doubt this matters to you) is a set of Toyota minitruck knuckles and birfs. Depending on the junkyard situation around you, these can be had cheap. Even if you got the axles for free, I wouldn't want them breaking on me leaving me stranded. I bet you can sell them, use the money to convert to minitruck discs and still have $ left over.

Just remember, that engine is HEAVY!

TB

I agree w/ everyone else, the D44 is a nice axle but the 7.3 is going to put out SOOOOOO much more torque than they are designed for. Stay with the cruiser axles, disk brake conv. on both ends and I think you are going to have to do something with the front leaf springs to support the weight.

What would be perfection would be to swap in the whole drive train. Eng, tranny, t-case, axles.

im begging the same project, i have another truck to do it to. now i just need a motor and ill be started, keep us posted with any problems u have along the way cause they could be quite helpful to me and anyone else who wants to so this. I was also thinking about putting a Cummins with an allison auto out of a dodge. I kind of dont like dodge, but its a cummins. lol. keep us posted

I'm on the other end of the spectrum of the majority here, but here goes. I've been running Scout D44's for almost ten years in my '71. the only breakage I have ever had was 1 rear axle housing, (too much air time, too many times). I also broke one outer stub shaft, but had a replacement for free, they are the same as the large shaft chevy's from the early '70's. the beuty of using the D44's is parts are easier to find and less expensive, they also reduce the weight of your rig by almost 200#'s. I suspect weight isn't a concern for you :p

Thanks everyone for the input. Against the majority of you, I think I am going to go with the D44's just for the shear cost of it. When (notice not if) they break, everyone can say I told you so, but for now I'm going with the 44's. The transplants will start here in about a week. My dad got his new engine, so after finals I'll be helping him (and hopefully he will help me) get the engines swapped. I'll need some quality wrenching time to take my mind of the stresses of getting married on 2nd of Jan.

Oh, I'll take lots o'pics for everyone.

[quote author=kstatecruiser link=board=12;threadid=7714;start=msg76167#msg76167 date=1071532862]
Thanks everyone for the input. Against the majority of you, I think I am going to go with the D44's just for the shear cost of it. When (notice not if) they break, everyone can say I told you so, but for now I'm going with the 44's. The transplants will start here in about a week. My dad got his new engine, so after finals I'll be helping him (and hopefully he will help me) get the engines swapped. I'll need some quality wrenching time to take my mind of the stresses of getting married on 2nd of Jan.

Oh, I'll take lots o'pics for everyone.
[/quote]

This is MY FAVORITE PART!!!

I am going to swap in parts that I know I am going to break...
sounds so logical to me... :rolleyes:

GOOD LUCK!

cramer wrote:-

bahahahahahahahah.

D44's,

bahahahahaha.

kstate, like the guy in "never cry wolf", I shall say
good idea.

If you are going to make a decision on "the shear cost of it" why don't you just go for Dana 35C's :) they are even cheaper! Oh, and by the way, in stead of an air filter just use paper towels as well :) -- why not -- WHAT COULD HAPPEN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom