6X9 speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got back from a trip and we did 21 hours of driving in 3 days. I have read lots of the normal speaker replacement threads w/ 6.5 up front and 5.25 in the rear. The PO already cut my doors so I could care less about how they look--I was thinking of doing 6.5´s up front and figuring out a way to mount a small 6x9 with boxes in the rear. Any ideas or comments? Keep in mind I don't need anything super fancy or expensive--just nice full sound.

Here is what I was thinking.....

TS-A941P

Pioneer Premier® 6" x 9" 4-Way Speaker it is $80 delivered +$30 for the box
quick 6x9 pic.jpg
quick 6x9 pic speaker box.jpg

Last edited:
I just did a full system on mine and here's what I can tell you. I went with Infinity 6.5" in the door and 5.25s in the rear doors but I'm sure you figured this. By itself that added A LOT, maybe enough for you. If it isn't I would look into doing that then adding one 8" sub of your choice in the rear hatch.

As for 6"x9"s I've always really liked the sound of Kenwood over anybody else. I can say I think those boxes are just a waste and I would spend my funds on a 6 or 8 inch bazooka tube on eBay for the same $65 or so.

sonoranfun said:
I just did a full system on mine and here's what I can tell you. I went with Infinity 6.5" in the door and 5.25s in the rear doors but I'm sure you figured this. By itself that added A LOT, maybe enough for you. If it isn't I would look into doing that then adding one 8" sub of your choice in the rear hatch.

As for 6"x9"s I've always really liked the sound of Kenwood over anybody else. I can say I think those boxes are just a waste and I would spend my funds on a 6 or 8 inch bazooka tube on eBay for the same $65 or so.

Are you using the a deck to power your speakers or are you using a seperate amp? I have an 10" Infinity powered sub so that is taken care of...I was just thinking the 6x9's would sound nicer than 5.25´s.

Yeah the 6x9s will of course sound better but you're going to mainly be adding mid-bass with those and if you have a sub and a good set of 6.5s that will just be wasted.. I would run with those 5.25"s, I have the Kappas but any will do fine. That'll give you more of the range I think you'll like. I think you'll add very little with the 6x9s but it may sound a little better so if it's easy do that.... I am running the door speakers off a JVC DVD deck....

I'm anti 6x9s. They aren't a really great speaker and how they (oval speakers) disperse sound is not always accurate. They are much better now than the 1970s when they became so popular. The ideas of boxes is nice at first but they really get to be a hassle when you start packing and unpacking gear. Always having to strap them down etc... You might find with some good rear door speakers you don't need them.

I'm running 6.5" Infinity References in the front and rear doors. I had to add a 3/8" spacer to the rear doors. It sounds pretty good. Adding a sub would finish it off for me but I may never do that. Too many other mods to do.

To me, car stereo isn't about accuracy, it's about excitement! I let my audiophile buddy talk me into Kenwood replacement speakers in the doors running off the deck because "That's all you'll need" and hate the puny sound. I did run preamp outs and power to the rear and just installed a 12inch powered sub. 6x9s and an amp are going in this weekend. Who needs those little pockets in the doors?:)

Well, you don't have to tell me about the excitement part of it. I put a Zed Audio Minilith amp pushing 600 extreemly clean watts to two 12" Alpine Type-Rs..... My Cruiser is so loud it'll give you a headache... I'll take pictures today and post them...

Me likee! My sub overpowers the deck powered door speakers so I'm going for large excitement. Will post some photos after complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom