6x disc brakes, need TRE help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, so I had done a swap several years ago with 60 stuff and I am currently part way through a swap on my '78 FJ45 and I have hit a snag with my steering components…I put 6x TREs on and am having trouble finding a way to go from my tie rod up to the centre arm. The centre arm (not sure if this is the correct name -its the arm between the relay rod and the drag link-) has the 4x taper on it and will not fit the 60 series ends without reaming and the bottom end will not fit the 40 series TRE.

I have looked at the arm and thought of reaming it out and going with the 60 series ends but i don't think there would be much meat left if I were to ream it to fit the 6x ends.

The other option would be to use a starter bushing in the steering arms and just run 4x TREs all the way through however I am trying to stay away from doing this but I might try to push a bushing into the end on the tie rod so that I can run 40 series stuff on the drag link

On my last swap I used a TRE into my steering arms that had the correct size and taper for the steering arm but allowed the use of a 4x TRE on the drag link….i do NOT have the part # but if anybody knows what it is I would appreciate the help with it

I hope that this is making sense, I will try to get a picture of my current set up now and also what my other TRE looks like.

ok…I think I might have found what i need to make this work, the tie rods off of a early mini truck seem to look about right. like '81 or so…can anybody confirm this?

Tie Rod Ends=TRE, Im not too concerned about the width of the axle as I can play with that, Im just trying to get all the tapers on my steering to match up. currently i have 60 series ends on my tie rod and am trying to figure out how to match that big taper to what I have on the centre arm which is still 40 series…while still trying to avoid using the shims

Hi all,

Can you post up a pic of the part on the tie rod that you are attempting to find a TRE to fit?

Regards,

Alan

I have had to solve this problem a couple of different ways.

You can install a bushing so that you can install the 40 TRE into the 60 end. I have used a bronze starter bushing (SB01 ~$.50) and hammered it into the 60 arm. The bushing is cylindrical but will form itself into the taper as you install it.

You can also buy the same bushing from SOR, CCOT or similar for $25.

Worst case you can cut 2 tie rods and re-weld with a slug inside and plug welded.

If you are set on keeping the 60 TREs your options are limited at the center arm. You should still be safe if you ream the center arm.

Last edited:
I used 60 tre's and shortened a 60 relay rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

tornado alley cruiser, did you have to ream the 40 centre arm to fit the 60 series inner TRE's?

I think I might have found my solution in the outers for a '85 toyota pickup into my FJ 40 tie rod and then into my 40 series drag link ends…hopefully going to find out if thats going to work tomorrow.

Might post up a thread with all the bits and pieces for a 6x disc break swap so that when i loose all my part numbers again I can just do a search

PN 094-23H-SPR at SOR for $13 each and you use all stock 40 parts.

Sorry, I have 60 steering on mine as well.. I jumped into the conversation before understanding fully what you needed.

If your not too savvy on the shim, you can use the 79-84 40 Series steering arms, they have the large knuckle pattern (55 mm x 30 mm, 12 mm stud) but also the small taper pattern (60/80 use medium at the TRE and 60 uses large at the DLE). They are available used (nothing I have available) as well as new (which we stock). Up side over a shim is longevity, there have been cases of the shim wallowing out and seizing to the shaft of a TRE that you are trying to replace. That said we stock the shims as well and have used them (and the starter shims ages ago) in many scenarios with great results. Steering arms are here: http://cruiseroutfitters.com/steering.html

To Fast Eddy's point, we did find some mini TRE's that had the medium taper but also the 21mm thread, however we could NOT find one that worked on the passenger side with the small taper hole for your relay rod so you were back to shims or mods. I'm not a fan of going with the 60 Series ends because then your forced to use the 60 Series DLE's which are great in their own application but don't make a real good candidate for swaps imo. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom