'69 front hub question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on the Mud Sloth and I notice one selector turns freely and the other can't be turned. If I need to replace, what should I be looking for?

Everything seems to mention 30 spline; what was it before that?

A source??

Which hubs do you have? Aisin, Warn?

It might just need to be pulled off and cleaned up.
Warn M47 10 spline. May need to replace, if I can't find a rebuild kit. Will "any" 10 spline work or which will and which won't?

Never had to work on any before, so pardon my ignorance! (PLEASE)

Sorry man, I don’t know no much about the Warn hubs. Hopefully someone will come along with the answer.

Do you have stock drum front brakes?
If so they should be a six spline hub.
Likely need to be taken apart and cleaned. Old grease can get hard. Did you try turning the hub with tire jack up off the ground? Use a pair of pliers for a better grip if needed.

Do you have stock drum front brakes?
If so they should be a six spline hub.
Likely need to be taken apart and cleaned. Old grease can get hard. Did you try turning the hub with tire jack up off the ground? Use a pair of pliers for a better grip if needed.

If he has Warn M47 he has coarse six spline hubs. This are not spring loaded and splines have to line up to lock. Not sure any kit is required. Probably have to made a couple paper gaskets. Should work great will old grease out and new grease installed. With just the outer piece out check to see how it turns. Unlike today where things are made as throw away these were built in a time when things were made to last.

If a good cleaning doesn't do it, will the M & M 490 hubs work as a replacement?

That's OK=I just "fell into" a set on E-bay (Warn Gaskets) for a '69. I have a couple already; bought extra bolts and lock washers already.

I took a chance and went through the Warn site and found the maintenance kit!

I have a set of hubs on a 1972 drum axle that should work. I am going to pull them off and polish them up to sell, anyway. Let me know, Boise isn't a bad ship to Wenatchee.

I have a set of hubs on a 1972 drum axle that should work. I am going to pull them off and polish them up to sell, anyway. Let me know, Boise isn't a bad ship to Wenatchee.
I got all the washers and gaskets, so we'll see how it goes. Be a nice drive thru the Blue Mtns anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom