'69 FJ40 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I do live at 9,000 feet, so if that is the high-altitude jet, I should look into swapping those in. The mechanic thought they looked way too big. Don't know what that means.( From The same mechanic that doesn’t work on carbs🙄)

If u shine a torch in the hole the jet is a inch or so inside. That's the jet you need to clean. You can clean the secondary one as well while yer at it. as I see you have removed that lug too [right hand side lug] Like I said before a thin wire or a air nozzle will do the trick. No need to remove the jets.
Ignore the spare jets in the lugs for the moment.

You can clean the jet by feel with the wire. Feed the wire straight in through the centre of the hole and you should hit the jet hole. I've done this too many times, I really need to clean out my carb:frown:

Last edited:
After you post the number on the high altitude jet in your carburetor, we can help you decide whether or not it's the correct size based on your normal driving altitude. Mikuni (motorcycle) replacement jets of various sizes can be bought online - they fit Land Cruiser carburetors. See Post #7 here for a link:

:rolleyes: It's not his jet size...

I'm stuck. @pithicus I did the G String technique (so much potential there :) and I believe I got it in there, but it's unchanged. Idling pretty well, still lugging like crazy under load. Some huge backfires too.

I don't know if these are helpful, but here is the spare jet from the primary side- I looked for a part number but there are none on it:

IMG_7756 copy.jpg

This is looking in at the primary in use:

IMG_7755 copy.jpg

Tough photo to get! And this is both spares- looks like one high-altitude and one non? The mechanic thought it made sense that the primary and secondary are different sizes, but I don't know enough to say. Maybe these spares are both the high-altitude versions of the different jets?

IMG_7757 copy.jpg

Here is the carb running, no choke:

Here's full choke:

You can see fuel splashing around in the full choke version- does that look correct? I'm stuck. No idea where to go from here. Tear down the carb and clean/confirm jets?

Amazing photo's:D It was running ok before if I remember correct? The blocked jet was a possibility, but not a certainty, but cleaning the jet is part of the elimination process. The jet size is not the problem.
So it may be another blockage somewhere in the carb or electrical. Very frustrating I know. Sometimes it's easiest to slap another carb on it to confirm carb issues if you can get one? Although the backfiring may indicate ignition/timing problems
Edit... you can try retarding it a bit, rotate dizzy clockwise a bit and see what happens.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: It's not his jet size...

Amazing photo's:D It was running ok before if I remember correct? The blocked jet was a possibility, but not a certainty, but cleaning the jet is part of the elimination process. The jet size is not the problem.
So it may be another blockage somewhere in the carb or electrical. Very frustrating I know. Sometimes it's easiest to slap another carb on it to confirm carb issues if you can get one? Although the backfiring may indicate ignition/timing problems
Edit... you can try retarding it a bit, rotate dizzy clockwise a bit and see what happens.
I never said the jet size was the cause of his current issues - the comment was intended for long-term drivability, which is important at 9,000 feet. I know my FJ40s need adjustments for altitude (jet size and timing), and I'm only at 7,240 feet.

I would see about finding a new mechanic, or bringing it home and tackling it yourself/see if someone on here is nearby and would help. For one, the mechanic doesn’t work on carbed engines… then he said no intake leaks because the manifold “looked tight” but didn’t check it. Then, replaced cap, wires and plugs so points “are good”; are they new, were they old and filed, were point gap and dwell checked? There are many places a vacuum leak can come from on these. Distributor was already mentioned, there also seems to be additional wiring.
Another note, it’s a 69 but the oil filter looks to be on passenger side of engine, not bolted to intake (shouldn’t it be on 69 1F engine? Or is that an aftermarket fuel separator type filter, in which case, it’s upside down), so who knows what else could be up.

I would see about finding a new mechanic, or bringing it home and tackling it yourself/see if someone on here is nearby and would help. For one, the mechanic doesn’t work on carbed engines… then he said no intake leaks because the manifold “looked tight” but didn’t check it. Then, replaced cap, wires and plugs so points “are good”; are they new, were they old and filed, were point gap and dwell checked? There are many places a vacuum leak can come from on these. Distributor was already mentioned, there also seems to be additional wiring.
Another note, it’s a 69 but the oil filter looks to be on passenger side of engine, not bolted to intake (shouldn’t it be on 69 1F engine? Or is that an aftermarket fuel separator type filter, in which case, it’s upside down), so who knows what else could be up.
To be fair to the mechanic, he told me from the get go that they don't work on carbs and old stuff like this- he even offered to pay me to sell it so he never has to see it again! Good guy, just not his thing.

As for the oil filter, I believe it's a '73 transplant so might make sense. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom