69’ FJ40— was heater optional? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
F3CE1278-AB8A-4832-8A4E-676434D60B9A.png
i ask because I have seen 2 very stock low mileage 69’ 40s— one a concours and the other, a 28k unmolested rig— the pix above is from the latter. Both did not have rear heaters and both coincidentally have the same chrome cover where rear heater knob is supposed to be. My rig is pretty original and has same thing. If all of them came with a rear heater, am not sure why these pretty good examples do not and why are they heater deleted in same way? Also if they removed the heater, why not leave the knob there?

Makes me think that the 40 could have been ordered without the rear heater but I will let smarter folks chime in.

I have a 1969 , and the rear heater was an option. One dealer told me in Boise , Idaho that even though it was an option, most FJ40's he got in had the rear heater.

Vents on pass side most likely had a heater, no vents no heater. At least on earlier 60s models

My 68 did not have one in AZ. My 70 also originally sold in AZ did. Was easy to add a rear heater. Mine had the ported for the rear heater hoses JB welded shut. Must installed new T hose fittings. Uses the same switch. Pigtail off the harness by the other switch plugs into rear heater switch and rear heater harness plugs into the two free ports on the switch. Fixed nuts for the rear heater are in ths floor already. They do not center heater but offset to the right.

When my Dad bought my 69 (used) in 76 it did not even have a front heater.
JP

That could not be a US market only FSM. Hazard flashers were standard and switch mounted in the dash from the 68 model on. If a FJ40 came in to the US after the mid sixties it was either a mistake or used to fill a order and non heater model was used to fill. Just because something is listed as a option doesn't truly mean it was a option. Window sticker on a 93 80 series list power windows and alloy wheels as a option. Ever seen a US imported 80 series that was sold wind hand crank windows and steel wheels here. When I tried to order a 93 minus these and leather package but with lockers the manager wouldn't even talk to me. Locker were a $500 option in 93.

Would be curious to see picture of the right cowl and blower area of the firewall. Also by 76 things could have happen to it or could have been brought in from another market. Back then there wasn't a twenty-five year rule. A lot easier to import. We also have a 69 in our local club that the owner's brother brought in from another market when he was in the military.

Would be curious to see picture of the right cowl and blower area of the firewall. Also by 76 things could have happen to it or could have been brought in from another market. Back then there wasn't a twenty-five year rule. A lot easier to import. We also have a 69 in our local club that the owner's brother brought in from another market when he was in the military.[/QUOTE]

I`m sure originally it had a front heater the switch was their just the blower heater and ducting was gone. We think it was stolen and striped then rebuilt with what ever parts they had. When I got it in 92 it had a Siamese port engine and the transfercase had the small cover on the back. But I`ve got it mostly back to period correct stuff.
JP

I was just basing my original post on what my 40 has---a seemingly OEM factory rear heater delete with the exact same chrome insert as the pictures of a couple of 40s on the internet which look very stock---no rear heater, exact same chrome insert where the rear heater knob should be, and the same as my vehicle. I would have thought the front heater would be standard (or even if it were not, the factory would just put a front heater in anyway for the US market). The rear heater maybe not so much. I think that most 40s that came in the US market had both heaters even though they were a so-called "options". I also think some came in this market without them--not because it was necessarily ordered that way by the customer. Just guessing on my part. I do think, based on my research, and the posts on this thread, that mine did not come with a rear heater.

my 69 has both front and rear heater and they are both 2 speed its an fst

I have these original USA market sales Brochures , these are not re-prints

they show the front heater as being optional , take note these are older then 1969 @Martyt 's truck

the first photo from a USA brochure shows a truck without a heater installed o_O

but never the less very interesting ........

DSCN8660.JPG
DSCN8661.JPG
DSCN8662.JPG
DSCN8663.JPG

Search Nippon-Denso heater. Those are the only Japanese heaters I've in a Land Cruiser before the normal one we've seen starting mid sixties. A few Nippon-Denso heaters made it here. I have one in a FJ25 installed under the dash on the passenger's side. Was offered heater was a dealer install American made heater. Those were listed in the dealers parts books along with other American products like Husky hubs and Ramsey PTO Winches.

After the early FJ40 haven't seen the one shown on the diagram that include a switch. The FJ25 and early FJ40 used a plug like the round four pin the US military used. They had a trailer light option later just never seen it imported to the US. Have a 10/75 FJ40 that has a plug in the middle of harness that runs across the back. This certainly not a standard FJ40 imported to the US and not sure what it does or if other FJ40s imported here during that time period had this plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom