'69 FJ40 Top on a '75 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brushyhill.com
I have a chance to buy a top off of a '69 FJ40 for a REALLY low price but I need to know if I can put it onto my (Feb.) 1975 FJ40? I was told, by a friend of the seller, that it could be done with some "minor" fabrication. However, I haven't been able to talk to the guy in person yet; so, I'm hoping someone on here can tell me what will be involved in fitting a '69 top onto my '75!

Thanks!

Nick
Austin, TX

basicly it will work but if you have ambulance doors you will need the rear top support from that style truck if you have a tailgate then you can use the upper rear door and leave it at that plus the holes in the front on windshield wont line up if you go with amby doors you will have to drill for upper hinges you may be able to remove hinges from the rear top support and use it with ambt door but not sure hope this helps

So the only fabrication would be related to mounting (ambulance) doors- other than that the top should fit just fine?

If that's the case......WOOOOOO HOOOOO!

Anyone else know of any issues I may have?

Nick

Search for this topic, you'll find all kinds of information and opinions and pictures and discussion and all the usual types of answers one's looking for when asking a question that's been asked a bunch of times by other people who were once wondering similar things about the same thing. :D

From what I've seen it looks like a TPITA and I don't remember seeing one that turned out perfectly. Not to say it can't be done.

GL

Hi All:

Yep, the '69 hard top will fit onto your '75 FJ40, but just not "perfectly." It will fit, however.

My '74 FJ40 had a '78 hard top on it when I bought it.

Regards,

Alan

I have a '77+ top on my '5 FJ40. Whoever did that used the split doors with liftgate in back and never got a completely adequate fit to the tops of the side doors. It works, but it's on my list of things to do something about. The rear door and all works pretty much as a stock one would

Mine is the reverse of what you're asking. I'd look close at whether the pieces over the side doors on your new top will let you close the doors and whether they would seal in closed.

shelfboy1 said:
basicly it will work but if you have ambulance doors you will need the rear top support from that style truck if you have a tailgate then you can use the upper rear door and leave it at that plus the holes in the front on windshield wont line up if you go with amby doors you will have to drill for upper hinges you may be able to remove hinges from the rear top support and use it with ambt door but not sure hope this helps
right on:D

on my 73 i put a 78 hardtop on i just fabbed the holes for the hinges .and drilled my holes out for the windshield.when you have it all in front of you it will all be obvious what you need to do.also if you were like me your top was off more than you changed your underware.if so and you dont have a system were you can get it off and on easy.trust me cut them center post down some.its a bitch to get off yourself because you have to lift so dam high before there out and they clear.ive got a nice scar on my back were i was lifting it off . i was standing in the back using my back to lift when a gust of wind came and fliped it on me:eek: one word tripod or a few people to help ya:D

cruiser88 said:
a nice scar on my back were i was lifting it off . i was standing in the back using my back to lift when a gust of wind came and fliped it on me:eek: one word tripod or a few people to help ya:D

You shoulda' just waited until the wind built to a steady stiff breeze. The wind would've done the work for you and only your skill would have determined your landing zone.

I think he's asking about an early top on a late tub..... early tops did not have amby doors, they had lift gates.
I have an early top on my 75 and the only issue was where the top bolts to the front of the winshield frame. The early tops are clearanced for top mount wipers and the two holes in the front of the windshield frame do not line up with the two holes in the top. I simply added the new holes.
Also, my 75 was a softtop, so it has a tailgate which works very well with the early lift gate.
PMK

honk said:
You shoulda' just waited until the wind built to a steady stiff breeze. The wind would've done the work for you and only your skill would have determined your landing zone.
ya and my neighbor was a weatherman.neee to start using my head dont i:D

pygpen- Thanks man- now I feel better. Yeah, in fact, it is an earlier top and it has a lift gate. If you don't mind, when I get it down here and get some time to start trying to fit it on- most likely after hunting season- I might PM you with a few questions about how YOU did it.

Nick

P.S. Thanks to everyone else for their input! When/if I get it to work, I'll post pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom