69 FJ40 slave cylinder, oil pressure gauge and engine temp gauge issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had my 69 FJ gone through and took the original F engine replaced with an 85 FJ60 F2 engine. I have 3 problems.

The first issue is my clutch slave cylinder keeps blowing out on me. I believe that what is happening is the plunger rod that sits between the slave cylinder and the clutch plate arm gets misaligned against the piston in the slave cylinder causing a breach in the hydraulic system. I have looked at a few other cruisers of this vintage and see that there is a tension spring that is attached to the clutch plate arm and the slave cylinder and appears to keep constant pressure on the plunger rod. My 69 does not have that spring. I am wondering if my mechanic forgot to put that spring on after the engine swap?

The 2nd problem is that my engine temperature gauge reads backwards. I was told that the temperature sensor in the 85 engine block is not compatible with the original gauge in the 69 instrument panel and that I need to swap out the sensor in the 85 FJ60 engine. I have ordered the new sensor but it is longer than the 85 FJ60 sensor and I cannot screw it into the engine block. I am looking for the correct temperature gauge extender/adapter that would extend out enough for the 69 tempurature sensor to screw into the engine block.

My 3rd issue is the oil pressure gauge in my 69 instrument panel worked initially but now it has stopped working. We did a continuity test between the engine oil pressure sender and the gauge and it is not doing anything. We are thinking that the engine oil pressure sender on the replacement 85 FJ60 engine is not compatible with the stock 69 pressure gauge and that the difference fried the oil pressure gauge in stock instrument panel. Is there a specific part for the oil pressure sender that I could swap out on the 85 engine to be compatible with my 69 instument panel oil pressure gauge? Is it possible to fry the gauge in the instrument panel...and is it repairable?

Thanks for any advise,

how about some pics of the slave cylinder and fork?
the temp sensor should screw into the head. if you need an extension piece, try posting in the classifieds.
did someone hook the wire to the spade terminal, thus grounding the circuit and frying the guage? the wire needs to go to the center pin in the sending unit.

Thank you for the reply *3_puppies. Here are some photos of the slave cylinder and fork. The slave cylinder in the photo you will notice does not have the clutch spring between the fork and cylinder. There was no play between the fork and the slave rod. The slave cylinder was ordered as a brand new (not rebuilt) slave cylinder from Napa Auto. I ordered a new slave cylinder and slave rod from Specter Off Road and will see if there is any difference in the two units. I did notice that mechanic that rebuilt my transmission and installed the slave cylinder and slave rod had a longer slave rod than what came with the most recent Napa parts. When I took the rig to him to rebuild, I do not recall if the slave cylinder ever had the spring installed or if he forgot to reinstall it after rebuilding everything.

I will post in the classifieds for an extender piece for my tempurature sender.

Regarding the oil pressure sensor...it worked for about 6 months and then it went faulty. So the spade terminal issue you noted would have caused it to be faulty long before this correct?

IMG_E8073[1].JPG
IMG_E8073[1].JPG
IMG_E8064[1].JPG
IMG_8065[1].JPG

All: My slave cylinder for the clutch in my FJ40 appears to be fixed. I replaced it last fall after purchasing one from Specter. The slave cylinder did not look that different from the previous ones that I bought at Napa...but when I installed it I made sure that I adjusted the plunger rod appropriately and also added the spring that keeps the arm to the clutch plate. It appears that my problem is fixed.

Regarding the H2O tempurature sensor operating backwards....I replaced the sensor at the block with the sensor that is intended to be paired with the instrument cluster and the gauge now operates appropriately. The only thing I needed was an extension of the sensor housing at the block that would accomodate the longer sensor. There was a housing extender on the engine but was being used by the Radiator Water hose at the block...so I simply switched it out to be used by the water temperature sensor and now all is well. The only issue was that the sensor was metric thread and the hosing extender was threaded as NPT. Because the sensor has an o-ring on it and with a bit of teflon tape at the treads, I was able to seat the sensor in the housing extender easily and snuggly and all is well.

My third issue ...the oil temp gauge not working most likely is the same issue as the H20 Sensor not working....I believe that the sending unit for the Oil Temp gauge is mismatched to the instrument gauge. The oil temp sender most likely was original to the 85 Fj60 motor I had installed and when hooked up to the 69 instrument cluster, they are not compatible. The gauge worked initially but now the needle on the gauge has disappeared completely. I am hoping the gauge is not burned out. Question to someone out there....a new oil Temp sender unit for my 69 is around $80.00 for a new one....should I buy that one and replace the 85 sender and see if it is compatible with the instrument cluster first...or is there a way to test if the gauge is burned out? Can I have that rebuilt if it is burned out?

I just purchased both an oil pressure and temp sensor from Norwalk Toyota. For both sensors, I gave about $90 shipped. Oil pressure was the same PN across years. It works with my cluster...
1592497983909.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom