69 FJ40 buying advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I've won following Ebay auction for a 1969 FJ40, the price is what I can kinda afford right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4591435608&sspagename=ADME:L:AAQ:US:1

I test drove the truck last night in a mall parking lot, and was running good, no leaks, no smoke, tranny shifted good. Had a nice strong sound from engine, engine compartment was dusty buy no signs of leaks.

I just wanted a general advise on this deal, I'm new, so I don't understand how good is F145 engines etc...so a little help would be great!

Thx

Specs:
1969 FJ40
Clean CA title
No rust
F145 engine with original 30K miles and matching tranny
Some sort of a lift, it has 33" on it
D44 rear (from the shape of the diff I am guessing, description says Dana40 axle, never heard about that)
All electricals work, street drivable

Looks like you did alright. The F is fun and reliable.

Just get on replacing those rear J@@P signals.. :D

Congradulations! May it bring you lots of fun, safe and thrilling miles on and off the road!

I'm sure you'll get plenty of "advice" from the folks here!

I think the yellow looks great. Get yourself a factory service manual and an engine manual. These are available on eBay from time to time. SOR has them too. The Haynes manual is a good overall reference as well.

There is also a TON of info on your cruiser and engine on the board... Search around, you'll be amazed!

Welcome!

nice rig.

run a magnet arounr the 1/4's check for rust and under the rear doors.

other than that, replace the heep lights and loosen up those shackles. they look alittle tight.

:cheers:

Can't believe you got away with the bezel, guess the heep lights kept their attention.

No... that was the first thing I noticed... Need to be gentle with a post count of "1". Right about now, he's got 100 other things to worry about...

:grinpimp:

I took a minute to browse the pics on the auction and noted a few issues you're gonna need to address. First priority is the PCV.

On the passenger side of the motor is an oil filler tube. On the side of that tube is a metal valve for crankcase ventilation. It should NOT be open like it is in the pic. It is supposed to be routed to a point in the intake system below the throttle plates of the carb to recirculate vapors that make their way past the piston rings. Unfortunately, the aftermarket carb that is on the truck does not look to have provisions for it. You cannot simply cap this off, as the resulting pressure will blow the seals out of the motor. You are going to have to come up with some way to properly recirculate the vapors.

Second, the power steering pump does not look to be properly anchored to the engine. If you start the truck and can see that the pump is vibrating at all, don't waste any time getting something on the outboard bracket that will stabilize the pump, before the inboard bracket breaks. I had to fix a 69 FJ40 that was rigged this way once, on the side of the freeway, at night! It was not a pretty sight!

F145s are good engines. Read the links on the tech section and give her a good tune up and check out the brakes.

Welcome

Where are the windshield wipers?

Not bad for what you paid. Hopefully you won't find too many surprises.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advise/comments/suggestions! I'm taking the delivery tonight and driving it 122miles to San Diego, so would know how it drives/runs. I don't expect it to cruise at 70mph but at least make it safely home. Else, I am having a friend with a truck coming with me, he is also going to checkout the engine etc. since he is a good mechanic.

I am definitely excited about owing this...thanks for the warm welcome!:cheers:

65swb45 said:
I took a minute to browse the pics on the auction and noted a few issues you're gonna need to address. First priority is the PCV.

On the passenger side of the motor is an oil filler tube. On the side of that tube is a metal valve for crankcase ventilation. It should NOT be open like it is in the pic. It is supposed to be routed to a point in the intake system below the throttle plates of the carb to recirculate vapors that make their way past the piston rings. Unfortunately, the aftermarket carb that is on the truck does not look to have provisions for it. You cannot simply cap this off, as the resulting pressure will blow the seals out of the motor. You are going to have to come up with some way to properly recirculate the vapors.

Second, the power steering pump does not look to be properly anchored to the engine. If you start the truck and can see that the pump is vibrating at all, don't waste any time getting something on the outboard bracket that will stabilize the pump, before the inboard bracket breaks. I had to fix a 69 FJ40 that was rigged this way once, on the side of the freeway, at night! It was not a pretty sight!

F145s are good engines. Read the links on the tech section and give her a good tune up and check out the brakes.

Welcome

Took the words right out of my mouth.

And your seats look a little high?

Welcome and good find.

First - looks like you got a nice truck at a good price. Congrats!

Second - what are the ill effects of leaving the PCV open? Mine's got a hose attached, but it doesn't go anywhere. It's just draped over the valve cover. I've known that I need to do something about it, but I didn't know it was a priority.

Sorry for the hi-jack

That's the best cruiser deal I've ever seen go down in ebay! Congrats!!

Sure, you'll have some things to do but don't let that worry you - it's a fact of life with these old trucks that EVERYBODY who owns one has a few things to do. :)

MDH33 said:
Where are the windshield wipers?

Not bad for what you paid. Hopefully you won't find too many surprises.
it doesn't rain in Calexico and there's never any mud to play in, only quicksand :beer: :)

I also think you got a good deal considering what most people get for $3500. Mine's in much worse shape, and I still have a blast driving it around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom