69 FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I've had this 69 for a while and have done a lot of work to it but never did a buildup thread. I bought it from a friend who got it from his neighbor, the original owner family. They brought it here from California in 1985 and parked it. I have the original sales receipt! Somewhere along the line the tub rotted out and was replaced with a 74? Anyway, now I have it and heres a list of what I've done.

POR the frame
All new brake lines
Disc brakes front and rear (front from a 86 Landcruiser, and rear chevys)
Aussie locker in the rear
Electronic ignition
Poly gas tank
Aluminum radiator
KMC Enduro wheels wrapped in Goodyear Kevlar MTRs
Marks Offroad carb
New water pump

IMG_20140325_182636849.jpg

IMG_20140325_182741465.jpg

I've had it for a while and slowly been getting stuff done. I've decided to get it going by summer so I'll keep ya'll updated.

cool! What are the next items on your list?

It's either a 1/2 or 3/4 tub they used 74 for the back

BTW you have what looks like a FST (factory soft top)

The eyelets on the dash .... The female side of door hinges on tub... And Darth Vader helmet interior dome light on dash are signs of FST

Do you have the tailgate? Someplace in the parts pile?

It is a FST. I have the tailgate, just need to drill the holes for the hinges and mount the latch brackets on the 74 body. I have the canvas safety straps but the top is long gone.

I had a couple questions about the badges on the back. Which side do they go on in 69? Someone filled in the holes and I couldn't tell.

And is there a factory style top out there? There was that guy in Pakistan. Is he still around?

Did the FST have doors at all or just the straps?

I've run into some problems with the mixed years body/parts. The tub is a 74 but the bench seats I have are from the original 69. They don't fit.
Also the gas tank cover does not clear the poly gas tank I bought from Cruiser Corp.

What would ya'll recommend? Put later model seats in or aftermarket? I was trying to keep the build cheap by using what I had on hand.
I still have the original gas tank but was afraid of rust and contaminants and it doesn't clear a corner on the 74 transmission hump. And i'd have to source the gas tank straps.

The goal for this rig is to just have something I can drive daily if I needed and also take on mild trails once a month. It's obviously not going to be an all original showpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom