69 axle disc conversion front and rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cost of 69 axle disc conversion front and rear

Ok going cross eyed from reading all the conversion threads.
Curious what is good estimate of cost is on these 2 options: find a newer 40 axle rebuild with new axles shafts calipers, seals... etc or find knuckles and other parts to convert the 69 axles, to include new axle shafts, calipers, seals etc...

Rigger's thread seemed to be putting him around 1k with a newer year axle and mostly new parts and seals?

Last edited:
I am also interested in this. I have a 69 fj40 and have researched until I am blue in the face! Cost, ease of conversion, parts availability. I am at the point to do this and before I paint would like to figure out if cutting the brace off the firewall is what I need to do! Might add, cutting the brace will not be a major task, I work in a body shop and section different parts of cars all the time.

Hiya,

I think a lot depends on the cost of the donor axle. I did the mini truck conversion as I found a mini truck front axle pretty cheap ($1-200.00?). You'll probably want to rebuild the knuckles so throw in a knuckle rebuild kit ($175.00), include a mc/booster set up ($50.00 used), brake pads , rotors ($60.00?), calipers ($100.00), and various lines.

HTH, ty :beer:

My local used prices for front bits from the U-Pull:

Front axle assy 4x4: $90

Bits al la carte:

Lockout hubs: $30/pr
CV: $55/pr
Bearing hub: $22/pr
Spindle: $40/pr
Knuckle $30/pr
Backing plate: $22/pr
Brake caliper: $35/pr
Master cylinder: $20
Brake booster: $20
Rotor: $20/pr which I would get new.

As far as the rib. Mark's Off-road makes a spacer that allows you to space the booster out from the firewall. Don't know if it will clear the 1969 clutch master, but it does clear the clutch masters used on late 70's FJ40s.

It cost me about $1300 to do this.
1. 1977 fj40 axles $300
2. Geo Metro master and booster $40
3. New calipers $80
4. Brake lines, fitting and tools to make and spring pins $100
5. 4 inch suspension lift $800
The last one was a surprise, but once I pulled the ubolts off from the old axles and the springs fell apart and had really rusted and flaked apart on the inside it was clear those old springs were not safe to use again. It was shocking how bad they were. Laos made new shackles, the old stock shackle pins in parts were about 50% gone. Spring pins were also not reusable.

Yeah a pick and pull is out of the question for me, need more like add to cart type options. I see that a newer axle could be a couple hundred, but then all new parts for that axle seems like it will add Up quick. MAF's kit is $800 but you,re stuck using not off the shelf brake parks.

I'm wondering if it's easier and close to cost the to get a diamond axle built with it ready to accept 4runner calipers and discs?

I want to do the same, and maintain spring under in the process, I had an 82 mini truck forever, and as soon as it was carted off to the scrap yard I got the FJ, Douhhhhhh!!!! but I was wondering do alot of people put a mini truck axle in the front and just swap the spring perches back to underneath? I haven't researched as much as you guys have and I know I need to do some digging on here, but like you said, there is just sooo much its tough to find whats right for you!

but I was wondering do alot of people put a mini truck axle in the front and just swap the spring perches back to underneath? I haven't researched as much as you guys have and I know I need to do some digging on here, but like you said, there is just sooo much its tough to find whats right for you!

Nobody does that. Just use the knuckles outward from the mini axle on the FJ-40 axle housing. MUCH less work, and you probably need to redo the seals and bearings anyway.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I don't wanna steal this thread but I have been wondering the same question, and I guess like the answers above, it depends on the condition of all of the acquired parts ....and I would always want to, at least rebuild brakes and service the gears, but I know seals and bearings are a necessity too....

Lets say I have an '83 FJ60 that someone gave me, can I use all of those parts to convert my '68 to front disc? I guess mine has older style birfields... and obvioulsy shorter axle shafts and fewer splines on said shafts.... but I am assuming I can keep my originals?

Ok, a little FYI for anyone that needs it, It looks like I can take my '68 and swap everything over from a FJ60 just the same as a mini truck, but when it comes to the longer axles and the newer birfields I can just swap in my axle shafts as in this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...axel-swap-fj60-into-fj40-disk-brake-swap.html

It looks as if it is all possible, the only thing I am worried about is spline count on a 68 axle shaft and 1979-89 birfield, but I am assuming it is the same....correct me if I am wrong...

Hiya,

I think you'll have to take your inner axles from the '69 and then mate them with the birfs from the 60 if you keep your 69 axle. I did a short write up on this somewhere... You might wanna just swap in both axles and ps from the 60, 'cept I think the 60 axles are a bit wider. Sounds like you've got a good donor vehicle to get stuff from.

regards, ty :beer:

huminajumina said:
Thanks Dan, I don't wanna steal this thread but I have been wondering the same question, and I guess like the answers above, it depends on the condition of all of the acquired parts ....and I would always want to, at least rebuild brakes and service the gears, but I know seals and bearings are a necessity too....

Lets say I have an '83 FJ60 that someone gave me, can I use all of those parts to convert my '68 to front disc? I guess mine has older style birfields... and obvioulsy shorter axle shafts and fewer splines on said shafts.... but I am assuming I can keep my originals?

Seems there's no one stop shop for this conversion, if I go custom axle I'll post up my design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom