682nd Post of ‘What does this HG tell you?’ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
finally got the head pulled yesterday and wondering if you guys can tell me what you see. I’m not an expert AT ALL and just wondering what the heck I’m looking at. Have not pulled the gasket off yet and may not have the right pictures, let me know what else I need to post to help better diagnose what my issue may or may not have been! Thanks in advance for whatever knowledge you may impart upon me

4DE9E9A5-537D-4893-97D8-6281C308AE9E.jpeg

DDC9DB1E-AE63-4BB1-B8AE-1C50323640AD.jpeg

B826DA11-BAE7-4F83-B14F-E1C2CADE0C25.jpeg

33781E7C-F08F-4447-B413-9FD454920C6B.jpeg

8C2A2CC7-5011-4ED1-8EA7-E8F355707CB8.jpeg

What symptoms did you have? What problem are you trying to fix? I don't remember any previous posts.

What symptoms did you have? What problem are you trying to fix? I don't remember any previous posts.

There were none. I diagnosed (or maybe, misdiagnosed :doh:) a failing head gasket due to exhaust fumes in the rad (via chemical test), average operating temp rising, and loss of coolant. Loss of coolant could be something else, but no drip or tell tale signs anywhere. The reason i ultimately decided to do it right now is because the previous owner was kind enough to put the wrong spark plugs in (tapered) and cross threaded cylinder 2. When I went to pull them out to do a compression test and a leak down test to see how bad my gasket really was, all threads came with it. I could have tried to repair with the head on, but I wanted to do it the right way and not risk getting shavings in the cylinder. So that is what brings us to this point. Now I’m just trying to determine where my failure was, or if there really was a failure to begin with.

Why care if you had a failure or will have a failure ? You’re this far in so just do it right, finish up and ‘get back on the horse’. Don’t spend energy wondering what coulda been/shoulda been. Get it done.

yea cyl 1 looks like its been steamed a bit... but there is no major failure on the HG that i can see. Nothing as bad as my HG failure seen here.

Clean er up, put a new gasket in and put it all back together.

yea cyl 1 looks like its been steamed a bit... but there is no major failure on the HG that i can see. Nothing as bad as my HG failure seen here.

Clean er up, put a new gasket in and put it all back together.

Thanks for the input @SmokingRocks! That’s the plan. Have 1000 bucks in parts ready to go back in, tryin to hit everything I can while I’m in there. Dropping head off at machine shop tomorrow and sending injectors to witch hunter. I noticed the intake valves on 1 looked a little odd too (see below). Just curious is all.

68C9ACE7-5856-423E-BFEF-5D83DE93F876.jpeg

FBD44364-8222-4151-90AC-302114C75032.jpeg

Yup I think there was a failure in cyl 1 but it was likely minor. in your first photo you can see that the coolant passage at the gasket was blown out and kind of looks like it was migrating toward the fire ring.
4de9e9a5-537d-4893-97d8-6281c308ae9e-jpeg.1616557

Thats the same place mine blew out.
IMG_20160625_094628988_HDR_zpsxzadqgfy.jpg

To be on the safe side I'd remove those sensors from the head before you take it to the machine shop. That way you just might save yourself a few bucks, just in case the shop happens to break one by accident.

Odd.
I was under the impression we all blew on the #6 cyl / cooling jacket, at least that was the issue the update HG was for.

That gasket looks like the original in any case (going from memory) - so having the newer design gasket in will be a benefit no matter what.

When you compare the new vs old gasket, the coolant passage in the update gasket is restricted on the #6 end compared to old ones, IIRC that was the only visual change.

2x post AKA my Ipad sucks.

I see rust? Like the cooling system was neglected.

It very well may have been. I believe I’m the 5th owner. Have had it for 9 months and replaced the PHH day 4 I had it and consequently the fluid. FWIW fluid was in good shape when I drained it first time, but not much of an indicator for history. Really don’t know much about previous maintenance. Rad was changed at some point as it’s a koyo. Water pump says Toyota on it but isn red, so may have been changed some years ago before they started scratching it off. Hoses look to be all original. That’s all getting replaced as a part of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom