68 floor shift tower and seat ID help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so the reverse light switch on the rig I'm working on is a toggle. Stock switch is still on the remnants of the column linkage. I had read that there might be a place on the shift tower for it to go. So I pulled the cover off. I'm not seeing anywhere for a switch. Please tell me if I'm wrong. If I'm right it's getting an illuminated toggle switch for the lights. Owner is out of money and I'm running out of time.

Also I don't think these are cruiser seats but anyone ID them? Owner of the truck wants to buy new upholstery for them over the winter. They are pretty comfy. CJ5 maybe?

The photo of your shift lever tower (tranny top cover) is too greasy for me to see if the tower has the mounting surface for the reverse light switch. It looks like your top cover is a Downey because we never machined the PTO lever mounting boss at the top left front corner (like yours). If it's a Downey top cover, our DOWNEY name would be on the cover along the left side (between mounting bolt holes) and rear side (between mounting bolt holes), and there would be a round horizontal reverse light switch mounting surface (mounting boss) pointing forward from the actual vertical tower (near the base of the tower). The mounting boss would have a large screw-in plug in it if there were no switch in it.

I'll have to scrub it some more Jim and see. The truck is from California so who knows it could have been a local customer's back in the day. My apologies on the crappy pic. I pulled the cover off and realized I had to quit for the day. Camera batteries were dead too. It does say something on it but I didn't see anyplace for a plug the size of the reverse light switch. But it is pretty grimy... Funny thing is the owner of this truck (who is not at all mechanically inclined) is under the impression it has 10k miles on it. No way.

OK so it is a Downey piece. Says Downey on the left side and Toyota across the back.

But I still don't see how to mount a reverse light switch to it. Unless of course this isn't a reverse light switch.

It was mounted with a bracket (which I cut off, likely a mistake) and was held on with clip. Not like the thread-in reverse light switches I'm used to seeing. Regardless unless it was supposed to thread in next to the vent in that little hole I don't see how it would work.

some of the early conversion units did not have a place for a reverse switch, as there were no reverse lights on mid 60's rigs. looks like that is what you have.

Would it be possible to fabricate a mount bracket for your current backup switch so it could be activated by the shifter cane?

Don

I have a shift plate you can have. Needs to be cleaned up. Surface rust on the plate on the under side, but not frozen and still slide. The wires are broken off the reverse light switch. Either need to solder on some wires or replace. The shift rod was cut off but it Downey's cover worked with stock shifter that one should work.

Thanks for the offer but it's not actually my rig. Putting it back on the road for a friend of mine's mother. I put an illuminated toggle in place of the plain one and the tunnel is going back on right after I eat some lunch. If it were mine I would fix it right, she doesn't care. Thought the toggle switch was funny. I figured if there was a place to put a switch I would fix it right but hopefully this rig is leaving my shop soon. Like hopefully next weekend. And it's supposed to be headed to NC in the spring. So I just gotta get it all in one piece and on the road and I'm done with it. Next on the list is figuring out a gas gauge for it. Has a later cluster and the only thing that works is the speedo.

Cripes, I forgot that we didn't cast-in the provision for a reverse light switch- - -I'm I that far removed from the hobby?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom