68 fiberglass roof to front lip connection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
mofj40-1968.tripod.com
How did the fiberglass front lip connect to the roof panel? Mine has separaated about 1/4 inch and is freezing me out driving down the road. It looks as if the curved front lip had holes for screws from the inside to the roof?

Would epoxy be an easy fix?

I put mine on with small nuts/bolts and lock washers. I put a bead of silicone on the lip (between the strip and fiberglass top) before I tightened the strip in place. It seems to work pretty well.

They were originally riveted in place, but over time the rivets loosen in the fiberglass. Some people drill them out and replace them with new rivets, some with hardware as mentioned. Putting some type of sealant between the rail and the roof is DEFINITELY a good idea. Also take some time to do some rust prevention on the rail before you reattach it. They have to take a LOT of abuse from the elements.:)

Tried a bead of silicone- worked for a couple weeks till I played in some rocks and flexed it loose.

Duct tape won't hold at 65mph.

I guess I'll get some stainless hardware and bolt through the roof into the lip.

Duct tape WILL hold at 65 mph,galvanised would be better and cheaper than stainless.Stainless nuts and bolts have a tendency to weld themselves together,sometimes before you even get them screwed together.it's a stainless thing.

My roof panel lifts almost 1/2 inch at 65- duct tape lasts about 20 miles.

Stainless metric hardware is free for me- beats paying for galvanized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom