67 FJ40 Wiper Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,
I am trying to figure out why the wipers don't work. Can you tell if the motors are wired properly? The top post is marked "S", the middle post is "-", and the bottom is "+". The wiring from the switch disappears into a jungle of bundled wiring under the dash and must be spliced in there somewhere because when I'm able to pick them up again heading towards the motors they are different wires. Thanks.

Resized_20180420_171206.jpeg

Hey Dave,
I believe the 'S' gets power all the time (and powers the motor till its internal switch cuts it off) and the '+' gets power only when the dash switch is on, and the '-' is obviously to ground. Your wires aren't stock so no telling what's what from the picture, but here are mine. If 'S' is on the bottom and yours doesn't have a wire, that's why.

IMG_0134.JPG

So if I see yours correctly I am missing the third wire that connects to the "+" post. I get the ground and the + wire to power but what does the S wire attach to? Obviously wiring isn't my thing so I don't quite understand what you mean by the S wire gets power all of the time. It seems to me that the motor would only have power through the + connection when the switch is on. What am I missing?

The wiper motor have a home position. After you turn the wipers off they still need a source of power to get to the home position. The third wire provides that power. I think that third wire comes from the ignition switched portion of the fuse block.
On mine if I turn the wipers off and quickly turn off the ignition, then the wipers will stop where they are, and wait patiently for the ignition to be turned on again. It is a bit weird to qet in the truck on a later date and have the wipers start going. But they stop as soon as they get to the home position.

Thanks for the replies, I have a good idea of what I need to do now. New to FJs, new to this site. Great forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom