67' FJ40 Oil Slick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I topped off my oil this morning and headed to work. I noticed a burning oil smell and a faint smoke screen behind me. Here is what I was greeted with when I got to work.

I'm pretty sure my rear main seal went. Probably toasted my clutch as well. The oil was just gushing out of it. s***ty start to this week.
IMG00121-20110531-1212.jpg

It seems somewhat off center for the rear main, but maybe it's the photo. Could it be the filter or one of the oil lines?

Do you have one of those pressed in plugs in the head? They plug the passageway where the oil gallery was machined in.

If the plug pops out, or develops a major leak, it will squirt oil under high pressure.

I think it's on the distributor side of the head. It's just a little thing. There's a couple threads in here about tapping it, and sealing it with a setscrew.

Good Luck

Rocky

Check this....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/113830-what-well-whatever-its-leaking.html

Not the greatest picture for sure. There was oil everywhere so I couldn't really tell where it was coming from the rear main is just my guess. Could be the oil pressure gauge line ruptured but I don't know. I had it towed to a shop that I trust. I don't have the time to deal with it right now.

Definitely not the oil galley plug. I dontt hink my 67 has one.

I'm guessing one of the oil lines on the driver's side. Rear seal will leak out behind the flywhell then drip out the hole in the bottom bell housing cover. At that point it probably wouldn't be hitting exhaust and burning, nor would it make the big of mess inside the engine comparment unless you were driving in reverse very fast.

Not the greatest picture for sure. There was oil everywhere so I couldn't really tell where it was coming from the rear main is just my guess. Could be the oil pressure gauge line ruptured but I don't know. I had it towed to a shop that I trust. I don't have the time to deal with it right now.

Definitely not the oil galley plug. I dontt hink my 67 has one.

Lee, it most definitely DOES have one, you just can't see it. It is sandwiched at the back of the motor against the bellhousing. You can follow the raised horizontal ridge on the driver's side of the engine block back from the oil filter return line past the oil pressure sender to the point where the plug is.

This is not a very likely culprit, but not impossible either. And unfortunately, the probability INCREASES with a rebuilt engine, usually due to installer error.:frown:

Good luck

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom