67 FJ40 Frame + FJ60 Drivetrain = ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm picking up a 67 FJ40 frame. I have an 87 FJ60 that has a rotten body and frame, with a great drivetrain. Any ideas? I have a 2002 Jetta TDI motor, a 83 Mercedes 300SD motor that probably needs a piston. Need to build a bush bomber/crawler.

yep, people put 60 series axles in 40s, I did it. I used Proffitt's kit for the front axle. wyou would need a different t-case and transmission mounts since the FJ60 has a split-case. You will propabaly have to cut the frame crossmsmber out and move it back to make more room for the 4 speed transmission, since your 67 probably had a 3 speed.

It's giong to be some work for sure, but if you can weld and and some fab skills, then you can make pretty much anything happen.

Thanks. Good stuff to know. There will definitely be some cutting and welding going on :)

yep, people put 60 series axles in 40s, I did it. I used Proffitt's kit for the front axle. wyou would need a different t-case and transmission mounts since the FJ60 has a split-case. You will propabaly have to cut the frame crossmsmber out and move it back to make more room for the 4 speed transmission, since your 67 probably had a 3 speed.

It's giong to be some work for sure, but if you can weld and and some fab skills, then you can make pretty much anything happen.

You don't have to cut it, just put a rear mount in an inch or so lower than it normally would sit and it works fine. Check out Posers H55 thread. I did the same thing in my split case thread. Since you will likely be running an e-brake (if at all) on the axles instead of the t-case you may have little or no problems.

Thanks. I'll do some more reading. Any more ideas? Thoughts?

Great. Look forward to seeing them.

FJ60 Running Gear

Here is a shot from under the 40. So you take the lime and the coco... oops, you take the front driveline from the 60 and use it in the rear of the 40 then take the rear driveline from the 60, shorten it a lot and use it in the front of the 40. Thats what I'm doing now.
PB151048.jpg

Here is a shot from under the 40. So you take the lime and the coco... oops, you take the front driveline from the 60 and use it in the rear of the 40 then take the rear driveline from the 60, shorten it a lot and use it in the front of the 40. Thats what I'm doing now.

Why is that? Are you doing rear steer only, like a fork truck?

I was wondering about that. Driveline is a little vague. I still think the fork truck thing would be cool though.....

Any other tips, suggestions, or ideas? Not sure if I'm going SOA or SUA - pros cons?. Not sure if I'm doing a full tub, partial tub, or cage. I need to make a bush bomber. I don't plan on running fenders. Just doing some brain storming right now.

Four wheel steering

I've seen a front axle mounted in the rear for four wheel steering with a manually controlled hydraulic ram.

I considered doing it but i've already got a FF axle in the rear and my truck is on the heavier side.

I imagine it be awesome in the bush or tight parking spaces:D

I'll probably go the cheap route and put split brakes on the rear. 4 wheel steer would be nice though :)

The 87 Trans has the extension on it. It will make for a short rear driveshaft. I used an ealier split case/4speed in my 69 40 with FJ60 rear springs soa which move the axle back.

Just info....

The 87 Trans has the extension on it. It will make for a short rear driveshaft. I used an ealier split case/4speed in my 69 40 with FJ60 rear springs soa which move the axle back.

Just info....

Much appreciated, thanks. I'm gonna try to use the 60 springs on it. They're already paid for, they're tough, simple, and flex fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom