67 FJ40 F 135 Valve stem seal replacement problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
seals.jpg
Every corner I turn is another opportunity to learn.....I'm going to have to do another full restoration once I learn what I'm doing from you guys. Ok had gas in oil, oil in 4/6 cylinders. Replaced fuel pump no problem. Now trying to replace valve stem seals and ran into problem. Removed rockers and valve springs no problem ( Using rope in cylinder and hammer/plug socket/magnet trick). The metal shaft coming out of the head that the valve stem goes through does not look like a replaceable seal, looks like a part that stays there. Got the newer seals that are supposed to work on earlier models. See pictures. Flange of the new seal fits on the inner spring but does not really fit on the guide coming out of the head. Searched a lot and did not find this same situation addressed. What to do now? Oh yeah, also learned the hard way that you cant take the top bolt off the original oil filter after you have drained the oil, what a mess.

Thanks for your thoughts.

here is a picture if the stem with new seal slid on it but it wont go over the guide and one next to it.

another pic of the spring assembly showing the inner spring being shorter but not that much.

seals.jpg
Spring assembly.jpg

What are those, and where do they go? are they there is the picture, is that the part at the top of the metal shaft, and can they be swapped once you drop the valves?

I really don't know, but there is an o-ring below the valve keepers on the paper towels. Where did that come from? I was just looking at the Specter Off Road listing. Usually, someone who has turned these wrenches will eventually chime in.

The 2 o rings have a split in them, not sure if thats supposed to be there, those were above the keepers I guess to keep them in place and not sliding up. So not acting as a seal for oil. I was getting oil into 4 of the cylinders but it happened when there was a lot of gas in the crankcase.

Maybe this thread might help you out. If not @middlecalf may be able to chime in.

The stock seals for the F135 valves look like faucet washers.

There is probably a thread with aftermarket part numbers in the FJ25 section.😉

So as usual most of you folks are right on the money. The supplier of the seals shown realized that they are not the right ones for the F135, I was all excited and when the "right" ones showed up, they were the rubber umbrellas I've seen, looked good but wont fit inside the inner spring. So as some of you have indicated the only seal on the valves on this F135 are the o-rings above the keepers. The two I removed were actually split (not sure if it happened during removal). And 5 of the other 10 were missing and correlated to the cylinders where the plugs were oil soaked. Not sure where those o-rings are now. So I am going to replace these top o-rings with new Viton ones and hope for the best. The illustration below shows the set up for this engine. This was posted by "Citrus Cruiser" in the thread that Krondor listed above. I'll let you know how it works when I get it fired up again.

valve illustration.png

Good job figuring this out! Where did you get those ”newer seals” from that apparently are for older motors?

Last edited:
Cruiser Parts, who were very good about working to sort through this, and replaced the first set with the umbrellas at no extra cost, But obviously the seal designs of these early motors is not straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom