67 FJ 40 with v8 conversion: Clutch question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For you folks with a v8 conversion. I beleive its time to change out the pressure plate, and while I am at it, the TO bearing.

Its an older conversion and I don't know what conversion kit was used:

Do most v8 conversions (keeping the factory 3 speed manual tranny) use a chevy clutch set and TO bearing, or are toyota clutch parts used?

Most use Chevy clutch and pressure plate.

TO usually Toyota, but no guarantee... photos would help to identify.

3 speed more frequently Chevy than with a 4 speed conversion.

Some on MUD claim a stock (or equivalent) clutch works fine in a Chevota conversion. Both AA and Downey disagree, both of our companies make "special" Chevota 11" clutches that require less travel to disengage - - - because your Toyota hydraulics has less travel than Chevy hydraulics has. Use of a stock Chevy clutch can have you either dragging through the gears because you never fully disengage, or the clutch always slightly slipping because it is never fully engaged. If interested in the Downey Off Road Mfg Chevota clutch, PM me.

The older conversions used all Chevy stuff Chevy bell housing ,Chevy cast iron clutch fork ,Chevy throw out bearing. Also using a spacer plate between bell housing and transmission , Unless you have a later aluminum adapter bell housing that does not use a spacer plate. The fancy new one piece aluminum bellhousing Uses a Toyota clutch fork and Toyota throw out.
How old is your setup. They also used different pressure plates low profile diagram style or a three finger style.pixs would be nice.

Ca5473.
I would love to see a side by side pic of the two pressure plates ;)

I think you'll need a low profile clutch to work with the Toyota hydraulics.
I went with advanced adapters for mine, you could check their website, or Downey. Those seem to be the best options.

Parts list. This is for a 350sbc, and sm420 trans. You may need something else for the toy trans.
lc165552 (04-042) is a high profile clutch
716316 TOB for the Chevy trans to 350
716176 release arm and 716139 fork wedge
715527 linkage bracket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom