67' FJ 40 distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 67 has its original 2F engine. My dad and I have put countless hours in to it and it still doesn't run right. We think we've narrowed it down to the distributor and the vacuum advance on it. but we're not sure. When the engine is at idle and you tap the VA knob the engine cuts out. We've ran it with the hose disconnected and it doesn't seem to effect how it runs but whenever the knob is touched it cuts. is their a short in our distributor some where or what? It's really frustrating because it's really close to running smooth. Anyways if anyone knows that going on please share the info. Thanks

'67 did not have a 2F engine. It was the old F135 with the siamese heads and there are not many of them still around. Better send us some pics of the engine and the dissy.

1. That looks like a 66 cruiser, and prolly is. Just sold in 67.

2. That would be the original dizzy for that unit.

3. No, it is not normal for the engine to cut out when you touch the vacuum advance. You obviously need to investigate further. Pull the cap and see if the shaft moves a lot from side to side if you push on the rotor. Also check to see that the small plastic bits that isolate the points grounding bolt have not cracked, leading to the points grounding on the distributor body.

Then, as a preventative measure, make a fresh cable from the points terminal on the side of the dizzy to the coil negative.

Let us know what happens.

Best

Mark A.

:confused:

Ok well we replaced the ground wire on the distributor and put an elbow on the vacuum advance hose to keep it from kinking. That made it run better but it still cuts out at times. My Pops and I are kinda stumped now. It's frustrating because it's so close to running perfect. I did notice inside the dizzy cap that one of the metal terminals doesn't have the hard plastic on the back of it. I'm not sure if that could cause a problem or not. I hope someone can help cause as soon as we get this figured out we can start doing more cosmetic work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom