66 FJ 40 Sort of Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all, new here, though I have been lurking for some time. We bought a '66 FJ 40 in February of last year. It runs, the body is mostly rust free, just a small bit under the rear doors. Someone in what I am assuming is the 1970's (judging by the ignition system) did a 350 Chevy swap. The electrical system is in a shocking state, seriously how this thing has not caught fire I don't know. At some point in all this I am going to clean up the wiring and replace the ignition system to something more modern than a pseudo points type system.

Things I have done to date: change all fluids, change plugs and wires, most of the way through a 4 wheel disc/ power brake swap (this is really my wife's rig because she's mad that I changed my CJ-7 to an automatic...don't judge, and she cannot stop the thing). New windshield soon to be made by a local glass shop, Marlin Crawler is going to rebuild the transmission next week as the synchro's are shot and its getting a new clutch in the process.

So, the big questions are:

What kind of seats are original? It currently has a GMC drivers seat and seat belts, the rear bench seats, and nothing for the passenger (fine by me, they are sitting on a bomb like my old CJ-8)(OK, I'm a closeted Jeep guy, sort of). Any good sources for seats? Did this come with a front bench seat?

It has a 3 speed now, should I be looking into a 4 speed swap?

Its currently mostly red, looking to go with the Toyota factory Royal Blue, started out as factory beige but some government agency painted it sort of yellow at some point in its history. The question here is: what the hell is the strange tar looking stuff that is rotting off the underside of the hood and under carriage?

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Welcome to Mud! Almost certain 66 would be bench seats. Here are pictures of a 66 restored by The FJ Company.
55B2B662-4EED-47EC-B614-8F70269ECA45.jpeg

5864AA08-16D6-4924-A8EB-840377A3246A.jpeg

A good place to find seats and other parts is the ih8mud classifieds. You can post a wanted ad or just keep an eye out for what you're needing. Screenshot of where to find classifieds V V
6ECB95B2-36E8-4ADB-9BE5-256802CBAD58.png

As for the tar. It was likely rattle canned on. I have scrapped that crap off a 40 series underside and firewall. Heatgun and razor scrapper were my go-to. Recently saw a youtubed dry ice removal method posted by lcwizard. Looked promising.

I bet Marlin can set you up with a 4 speed

Post up photo's when you can. We'd love to see your new project:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom