65 lwb crawler project-thinking about selling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SOLD!!
Thanks for the interest

It has been my dream and goal for many years to build a 45 rock crawler, but life seems to keep me from getting there.:crybaby: I can't decide whether to let it continue to sit in the garage or see if someone else is interested. Edit: It needs to go, I need to move on. It has a loooong way to go. Here's what I have:

1965 lwb, removable top body/frame/bed; no title. It is not very rusty, but it is beat. I cut the rockers off the cab. I cut 19" off the bed and frame. I welded the ends of the bed back on, but I also had plans to custom fab a floor as this one has lots of cracks and some rust in crossmembers, so I hacked away part of the floor in the back when I bobbed it. The hardtop has a dent on passenger side that was bondoed long ago. The cab floor needs a new custom tunnel because I sectioned the tub to raise the drivetrain flush with bottom of the frame. Cut out the floor where the fuel tank was and welded flat sheet in it's place. Fenders and hood are gone, a Holeshot fiberglass rock crawler hood ($550) in its place. Bib in good condition. Doors have cracks in metal, regulators are bad. I also have oem soft doors I was going to run in their place.

My goal in this build was/is to keep weight down as much as possible. This includes the fiberglass front, the soft doors, custom bed floor and the drivetrain: 2003 vortec 4.3, th350 auto, marlin crawler MC07 dual cases, tacoma e-locker rear axle, and Dana 44 front narrowed to match the rear. The engine is mounted on custom mounts using leaf spring bushings as is the tranny crossmember. I put the engine in 5 years ago, but I've never seen it run. I bought it from a rolled zr2 5-speed and I have the computer, harness, fan, all accessories except compressor. It's mounted, but that's all--needs fuel system, cooling, wiring, etc. The tranny is just a case for assembly, one will need to be built. I have 2 cases, including the stronger "K" case from a 4wd and a rebuildable core. The tranny to t-case adapter is the Downey short adapter, only 1.5" deep and uses a custom tranny output shaft. Edit: the front t-case is rebuilt with a Marlin kit, rear box was inspected and both received 23 spline input shafts. Rear axle is stock taco, unknown gears. I planned to run 4.88s. Front axle was a Blazer axle, I cut all the length off the long side and mounted it with FJ60 leaves with a shackle reversal. It is about 62.5" wide, ~2.5" wider than the taco rear. The front axle needs totally built--custom long side shaft, gears, locker, whatever other upgrades are desired. I picked up an FJ80 front axle last year that you could run in it's place, but it is about 4" wider than the taco rear.

It is sprung over. With the holeshot hood, you can fit huge tires, but the rear wheelwells will need work (another reason for the custom bed floor).

It's nearly buried in my garage, so I don't have any current pics. You can see one in my Garage. Those are 38s in the pic. Those tires are gone, it sits on 31" rollers right now. The bed has a bunch of spare driveshafts and other parts that would go with it. It has a new radiator and new energy suspension body mounts.

It's in Santa Fe, NM. I figure it's worth about $2500 in parts, so that's what I'm asking. I don't need to sell it, but it's nagging me and I don't know when or if I'll get to it. If someone is interested, it will make my life easier.
IMG_0254.jpg

Last edited:
any pics at all? got a local buddy who's very interested in the entire thing.

georg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom