65 Fj40 vs 71 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here and new to the LC community. I've restored/driven classic Broncos for a while now, but now have the opportunity to get into a Land Cruiser. Currently on the menu is a '65 Fj40 that runs like a top, but has a SBC instead of the original F series motor, and the other Fj40 is a '71 with the original motor but needs some minor body work and TLC, to get her ready for the road/mountains again.

My question is, based on the later year ('71) and available parts, and the original motor to the vehicle, can any of you weigh in and provide some advice on which is the best investment (long term)? CHEERS and thanks in advance...

Well, since I am a purist, the 1971 would be my choice. Reason is long term original is most desirable. The Chevy driveline has its' own likers as well.

Last edited:
Well, since I am a purist, the 1971 would be my choice. Reason is long term original is most desirable. The Chevy driveline has its' own likers as well.
@1969FJ & @cbmontgo Thanks for your responses - and I agree, long term -- the closer to OG the more return down the road. I should've caveated this with the laundry list of additional upgrades on the '65, to include: suspension, front disc brakes, new rear drums, new rotors, shoes, and rebuilt knuckle, new master cylinder and proportioning valves, new headers and upgraded interior (headliner, new jumpseats, roll bar).

Don't get me wrong -- none of that work is out of my wheelhouse, but the '65 is ready to roll, while the '71 is still a few $$$ away from being road /trail worthy again. With both FJ's being at the same price point -- any additional thoughts?

Sounds like the 1965 would appeal to one looking for a more modern driver with old school basics. And I believe as time goes by the value will still be good to a lot of people. The purist is more wanting the vehicle as was produced, however, my 1969 has a one reservoir brake circuit which is really not as safe as the modern units. So, the decision between the 2 vehicles is really within yourself as you know the facts. I will say companies like FJ CO does nothing but modernize the vehicles and they are pricey and popular. Keep this updated so we can see your choice, with pics.

I have had two FJ40s, one with a 350V8 (72 FJ40) and one with a 283V8 (67 FJ40). I preferred the 283 over the 350 as I the larger engine was a bit more power than the truck required. I had almost purchased a FJ40 with the original six cylinder, but it was out of my price range at the time - really liked the way it drove,

When the 283 engine needed a rebuilt, I swapped in a complete drive train from and 85 FJ60, I really like the Toyota six and would never go back to a V8.

If you can drive both and see which you prefer. Both have plus and minuses. Took me two V8s for me to find i like the straight six.

What is the plan for the vehicle? If you plan on modifying for off road use, it probably does not matter much.

If you are looking for a "collector" type vehicle, the 71 is the way to go.

I may be wrong but East Coast seem to like original and West Coast is more tolerant of Chevota. So your market for resale may have some input.

In the end, there is probably no wrong answer. The end product is what is important.

With both FJ's being at the same price point -- any additional thoughts?

Someone has to say this: why not both? ;)

The '71 will be easier to convert to front disk brakes with parts from a minitruck or other Land Cruiser. This is not possible/practical with the '65. Both are fairly stone-age, but you know that already.

If you're a V8-drive-80-mph kind of guy, get the '65. If you like the charm of stuff created as it was, then get the '71.

What is the plan for the vehicle? If you plan on modifying for off road use, it probably does not matter much.

If you are looking for a "collector" type vehicle, the 71 is the way to go.

I may be wrong but East Coast seem to like original and West Coast is more tolerant of Chevota. So your market for resale may have some input.

In the end, there is probably no wrong answer. The end product is what is important.
@jmylie thanks for your input. Overall plan for the 40 = real daily use + some recreational fun, but more of a short distance daily with the occasional fun on the trails. I def agree the '71, in it's original condition is the way to go for resale, especially here on the East Cost.

With both FJ's being at the same price point -- any additional thoughts?

Someone has to say this: why not both? ;)

The '71 will be easier to convert to front disk brakes with parts from a minitruck or other Land Cruiser. This is not possible/practical with the '65. Both are fairly stone-age, but you know that already.

If you're a V8-drive-80-mph kind of guy, get the '65. If you like the charm of stuff created as it was, then get the '71.
@SteveH so I'm glad you brought that up -- I circled back with the seller of the '65. He claims it currently has a mini-truck front axle with disc brakes, rebuilt knuckle, new rotors, calipers, Marlin heavy duty seals -- the whole 9 yards.

I'm not a brake expert by any means, but after reading up on this older thread - 1964 fj40 front axle knuckle swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1964-fj40-front-axle-knuckle-swap.786361/ , there's def a few obstacles to overcome first.

In your experience - what would make a true axle swap on a '65 "not possible/practical"... I appreciate the feedback!

An axle swap is no problem - what you can't do on a pre-'68 LC axle is simply bolt on later-model disk brake parts to convert it to disk brakes.

I put a '77 FJ40 axles (both) under a '65 FJ45 with no issues, other than having to run new brake lines on the '65 truck to match the '77 axles. Later axles use a different size brake line fitting.

Note that it's getting harder and harder to find solid axle Toyota parts or axles to update an old FJ40 to disk brakes.

Post up pics and prices of both so we can see what you`re dealing with and give you real advice vs hypothetical comparisons of years/drivetrains.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're buying it for future investment return, not what you like or need now. I buy a vehicle because it's what I need and want to use not what it will bring down the road. So, with that said. most seem to think stock brings more money. If you want to drive around the country in a/c and more modern upgrades then build up the v8. If you build it the right way then either one will bring top dollar and you get to enjoy it the way you want.

An axle swap is no problem - what you can't do on a pre-'68 LC axle is simply bolt on later-model disk brake parts to convert it to disk brakes.

I put a '77 FJ40 axles (both) under a '65 FJ45 with no issues, other than having to run new brake lines on the '65 truck to match the '77 axles. Later axles use a different size brake line fitting.

Note that it's getting harder and harder to find solid axle Toyota parts or axles to update an old FJ40 to disk brakes.
this is good to know - thanks for the heads up!

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're buying it for future investment return, not what you like or need now. I buy a vehicle because it's what I need and want to use not what it will bring down the road. So, with that said. most seem to think stock brings more money. If you want to drive around the country in a/c and more modern upgrades then build up the v8. If you build it the right way then either one will bring top dollar and you get to enjoy it the way you want.
@scrapdaddy all good and no worries -- reading back through my posts, I may have accidentally made it sound like I was trying to sell sooner rather than later. The plan is to use it for daily runs and weekend fun for many years to come, while building overall value of the 40 along the way. I agree with your last statement though for sure. Thanks for your feedback.

Post up pics and prices of both so we can see what you`re dealing with and give you real advice vs hypothetical comparisons of years/drivetrains.
@MDH33 the '65 is up first (tan) with the sbc. The '71 (red) below is all original. Any feedback is welcome fellas!

20210215_145411.jpg

20210215_145807.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom