65' FJ-40 rear view mirror bracket?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by wiggins, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM.

1. wiggins

wiggins

does anyone know what an original bracket looked like or have a pic of an original mirror/bracket. My mirror is in good shape but the bracket must have broken at some point and was fixed by welding a washer on it. Works good but doesn't look good. There are 3 holes in the window frame that appear factory. Smaller pattern than the latter 2 hole mirrors. Any help appreciated, thx

IMG_8287[1].JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 12:37 PM
  2. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

Original glass mirror was part of the whole mirror and a removable part. The arm was potmetal and broke easily. My FJ45LP-B still has the original rear view mirror but not sure the arm was the same length. 45LV was different I know but not sure about the pickup and FJ40. Being before 3/69 Toyota parts system is of no use looking up parts used before that date.

3. wiggins

wiggins

Thanks Ive spent years rebuilding the FJ and its to dang nice now to have a rigged mirror. I wish I could find an original but have had no luck. I though if I had a pic maybe I could make something that looked similar.

4. oregon fj

oregon fj I rescue old vehicles... SILVER Star

Are we talking the inside mirror here? This is from my early '64, and I believe that the early '65 of @HelloKitty65 has the same. What you have seems much different, so perhaps a change happened partway through '65 builds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wiggins

wiggins

yea Ive seen those and may have to go that route but mines definitely different.

6. Living in the Past

My 9/64 FJ45LP-B does not have this style. Do not believe anything made in 65 would have it either. Have number of windshields made from 1960-1962 with this style. Easy way to tell is the fixed nuts. The potmetal arms have one high and two lower. I know the one from the 68 thru the 77 model snapped on with idea would pop off if hit in a accident. They earlier may have been designed to just break off. I know we had a 87 Pathfinder that my wife was going to get into the back seat over the center console. Grabbed the rear view mirror and just snapped and needed to buy a new one.

7. oregon fj

oregon fj I rescue old vehicles... SILVER Star

Makes sense. My rig was apparently built 5/63, and Keith's was probably 1/64, according to the SOR chart.

8. middlecalf

middlecalf SILVER Star

Here are the holes in my early (3/65) window frame. I’ve only seen a couple of these for sale over almost 10-yrs, and they are expensive. I went with a VW mirror, had to enlarge the holes in the mirror shaft (no impact to window frame) to fit properly but it was very close. And it was cheap.
    AE97FD1E-76E1-49FE-BF37-CA9E1BD9D7FD.jpeg

I need one like Arne’s for my ‘63 FJ45. One just sold for $250.

9. HelloKitty65

HelloKitty65 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    At an auto swap meet I noticed lots of early rear view mirror glass the right size and shape, but wrong mounting hardware. I bet that flat bent two hole mount could easily be fabricated. Save yourself $300, unless you just gotta have it.
    That triangular mounted mirror shown in the shadow of @middlecalf 's pic seems to be unobtanium.

10. HelloKitty65

HelloKitty65 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  11. Living in the Past

That's what they look like. The one in my FJ45 pickup has a longer arm that lowers the mirror. The glass mirror is also larger then the mounting surface behind. Thinking it's time to remove the mirror/bracket and store away for safe keeping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.