1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

65' fj-40 rear disc brakes?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by guenther65, Mar 11, 2004.

1. guenther65

guenther65

I HAVE A 65' FJ-40 THAT IS NOW RECEIVING A FRONT DISC CONVERSION. I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS WORTH THE MONEY TO CONVERT THE REAR. THE GUY I HAVE DOING IT SAYS IT IS NOT WORTH THE EXPENSE. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? :-\

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Do it now, and be done with it.

Been covered very extensivly out here in the past couple months..

Are you using a power brake unit, are you swapping a whole axle assembly, and what master are you going to use?

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Hodag

Hodag Guest

My suggestion is just do it. I did mine while I had my axles out while putting in my locker. Once you gather up the parts (go to the tech links here for the lists), it took less than 15 min per side. Bleed em and go. I did not use a porportioning valve, but I still may in the future. The rears will lock up much faster than the fronts in a panic stop. Mine is a 78 so I didnt have to change the master and booster, but if youre converting your front too, youve probably already changed yours. Thats my $.02, Hodag :D

4. guenther65

guenther65

My guy is pulling out the old front end and replacing it with a later model disc front end. It will have a new booster, master and porportioning valve. I was thinking about going to a full floater in the rear. I want to use only landcruiser parts for the rear brakes. What about the park brake?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">