64 gas tank?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought one from sor and it doesn't fit with the stock seats, plus the pipes are off a little too. You may want to have the old one rebuilt. As you are starting to see, finding parts for the 64 is hard and getting harder. What are you trying to do? Is this a total restore are something more?

Cheers,
Michael

The tanks for a 64 FJ40 are a discontinued item from Toyota. You should be able to get your old tank repaired, as they were originally galvanized, and usually hold up quite well.

McClaskey said:
its not the actual tank...its the stuff that has been in the tank for 20+ years. I know i can get it cleaned but the guy that cleans the tanks said that it would never be 100% clean, and it would prolly be cheaper to buy a new one...

He's wrong. OEM tanks are long gone, aftermarket is going to be directed at later tanks which differ from yours.

Suggest you look at having the tank steamed out, holes repaired by someone who knows how, and then lined with the POR gas tank liner (or equivalent). Your local radiator shops should either be able, or know who is locally able, to do this work. Should cost about $100, make sure they don't use caustic, as it'll remove the zinc.

People repair gas tanks from the 1930's that are just barely there, so yours can be recovered - check out the pictures on this page:

http://www.gas-tank.com/

No relationship, never done business with them...

Kirk

I bought a tank for a '67 from CruiserDan. That was the earliest year still available.

There were minor differences that did not prevent the use of the tank. I had to modify the holddown straps, as I recall, longer bolts I think.

Neither my wife or I remember anything else that needed adjustment, but there might have been something. Minor problems in any case.

How does the tank look like on the outside? Yours can't be that bad considering the relative rust on the truck.. unless there was no gas cap and it filled from rain.

I'd pull the sender... pour some gas in it, slush it around and see what you can do.

and make sure you have a fresh fuel filter and run it... watching the filter (do you still have the glass bowl?

I had the tank in my 64lwb boiled out and resoldered and it's really as good as new! Money well spent.:)

I paid around 200 many years ago to have my 67 tank resealed. Leaked within 2 years. Several others I know of had the same issue with early tanks.

Several people have had good luck with the POR 15 gas tank kit, or Red-Kote (available through NAPA). You could try to get it boiled out, resoldered and then seal it.

I will be hopefully be buying a new one from Cdan soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom