62s MAF rebuild or replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a co-worker took apart his MAF on his 62 and now needs to have it repaired.

Is it best to have the OEM unit repaired and by who or have it replaced with a new unit, OEM or descent aftermarket unit?

EDIT: better yet, how often do these go out? Should he just buy a used unit?

Not being familiar with the internals of one, I'm curious now too if this is a part that can be repaired. I just looked around and didn't see any new replacement parts available (OEM or aftermarket), so a refurb or going to the (extensive) effort of converting to MAF would be the only option. @Moby was working on this a while back and just recently detailed the work he had done up until the point where he lost his Cruiser. It's a BIG complex conversion, so the best bet overall would be to find a good condition used part. The P/N is 22250-61010

It's not a terribly complicated device. The more air that flows thru it the farther the "flapper" valve opens. The shaft of the flapper moves the potentiometer wiper across a resistor which tells the ECU how much air is flowing. There are also a couple switches I believe one of which turns the fuel pump on.

I took one apart to fix it on a 1990 Ford. It was so long ago I barely remember but it can be done.

I'd buy a good used one, but it depends on what is broken. As @Prairie Swamp says, these aren't terribly complex. But I'm also not sure I'd both with the hassle of trying to find someone to repair it. I've never looked, but I doubt internal parts are available separately. It was designed as a sealed unit. Hit up a cruiser parts yard.

Pulled the screws rather than the spring clip and buggered the soldered connections?

I’m pretty sure that’s what happened. I did the same on an MAF on an RX-7 in high school many years ago. Lol
I'd open it up and try to repair the connections. Failing that, I'd put up a wanted ad in classifieds here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom