62 sun roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking a sun roof would be sweet but after searching to see what people have done everybody says stay away from them cuase they leak. That is my opinion on aftermarket ones but I am thinking cutting the roof section arond the sunroof of an 80 and weld it in so no leaks? Seems like a lot of work but it would awesome. Anybody have a sunroof in their 62?

Iv'e got one in my 88 FJ62. I don't know the history of it ,I bought it that way from Thousand Oaks Toyota in California in 1990 so far it hasn't leaked at all.
The motor is a little sketchy now, it got stuck open a few years ago now I just leave it shut. A better option may just be a manual moon roof.:beer:

Ya i was thinking of one of those that just pops up or just a solid moonroof. But if somebody could get an entire section from a wrecked 80 and slap it in.

Ive been thinking about one of those manual sunroofs that are removable. It'd be a nice mod for those summer days that are just around the bend...anyone with some experience with these? Most of the reputable shops have lifetime ownership guarantees of no leakage.
:popcorn:

Ya i was thinking of one of those that just pops up or just a solid moonroof. But if somebody could get an entire section from a wrecked 80 and slap it in.

Interesting idea, but what would you do about the ribs in the '62 roof? The 80's don't have these, their roofs are smooth.

I think....

Someone had one installed maybe from a high-roof 60 series? Or the whole hig-roof?? I really can't remember, maybe I'm losing it.

anyway...I wish I saved that post. I'd love to have a manual crank sunroof like I had in my old Beetle.

Interesting idea, but what would you do about the ribs in the '62 roof? The 80's don't have these, their roofs are smooth.

you remove any ribs the would be in the way..the frame of the hole will hole up the head liner in this area

I am thinking the ribs is going to cause it to leak but by cutting out a section of the 62 roof then adding in the flat roof and sunroof it should work and the motor and all of that stuff would be right there with it.

A good sunroof won't leak. C R Laurence makes lotsa models & sizes & the parts like the seals & the glass will be available for a long time. Just about any auto glass shop should be able to install one for you.

I'm going to put one in my '84, but it's way down the list. I'll get the glass tinted so just in case it gets broken it won't fall in.

IIRC Webasto is the compaNY THAT MAKES THE BEST AFTERMARKET SUN ROOFS.

zACK

Huh, I am going to have to agree with Ken, I think that is a really cool idea. I think I would try that.
Anybody post up with 80 roof sections, theside gets first dibs, I call second. :bounce:

sweet we can have a roof cutting party and hopefully get them back together before it starts raining. I am starting to look in the local wrecking yards for a totaled one see if it can be done.

My '85 has an aftermarket sunroof the previous owner had installed. The trim on the back is formed over the ribs so it follows their contours, making a pretty tight fit.
No problems with leaks to the interior, except when the drain tubes got clogged.
It is nice to open it up and be able to look up at the blue sky, and does really change the air circulation. The inside sliding cover is absolutely necessary to keep the sun out when parked in the summer (it gets hot here in the desert).
So, I like mine, but I'm not sure I would go through the trouble to have an aftermarket one put in.

Let me make my first post worthwhile... i am currently rebuilder my fj62, and while im at it thought id build my own manual moonroof.

Ive just started it, and plan to complete it soon. The hole was cut out this week, and i have just purchased some of the parts.

hole.jpg

sunroof.jpg

sunroof2.jpg

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

I cant promise you this is going to work, but im pretty confident !!!

Ooooh and the roof ribs, i have rounded them at the back, and flattened 25ml at the front.

Looks like a might big hole you got there. Those are some intense plans and looks like it should work. Does it rain a lot down in south africa? Im having second thoughts being here in the pacific northwest were the rain can happen anyday. Good luck with the build what else are you doing to it.

A good sunroof won't leak. C R Laurence makes lotsa models & sizes & the parts like the seals & the glass will be available for a long time. Just about any auto glass shop should be able to install one for you.

So Tinker, just how much would an auto glass shop, say yours, charge for something like this? What's available that would be good for a 60 series.

:cheers:

yeah I have an electric one in my 60. It should have come from the factory with one, it really looks and feels stock. Definitely a worthwhile mod. It does affect the structure a little, i squeaks and flexes a little off road; but as for on-road, I can't tell on corners.

ok...now we need pics

fliphkd778 - can you post a pic or two of your setup? Sounds slick.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom