62-Series Spline Wear Question/Opinon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I found a nice replacement frame locally for my '89 62-Series (156k on the odo), and as a result I'm now deep in the middle of an extension frame-replacement project and partial rebuild. I'm basically just going through things, and anything that's majorly broken/worn is getting fixed while it's all taken apart.

I'm also preemptively changing some drivetrain seals before they become a problem while they're still very accessible. So I've replaced the rear main seal, the transmission input shaft seal, and yesterday's project was to change the dreaded transfercase seal to prevent the infamous fluid-mixing with the transmission.

...and that's where I ran into trouble. The first thing I noticed was that the nut securing the input shaft gears on wasn't tight. The stakes were still in place, but with those bent out of the way, the nut was basically hand tight. I even double checked that I wasn't just imaging things, and the with the nut right back in the exact same position, it was quite loose. There was no sign that anyone had ever been in there before. Sure enough as I finished pulling the case apart, and slid the input gear off, I saw the dreaded spline wear. I'd estimate about 1/5 of the splines have worn, so there is a lot left. However you can rock the gear back and forth on the shaft, while the PTO gear doesn't move at all.

I'm not going to say money is tight, but I am trying to control the costs of this project. I see Cruiser Brothers has a modified gear for $260, which isn't too bad. I've seen pictures of splines that looked much worse, but at the same time I don't want any weird clunks or vibrations either.

What would you guys do? Would you just run it, or just spend the $260 since I'm already into it, and it'll never be this accessible again?

I'll post a picture later when I get back out to the rig. I was a bonehead and forgot to take a photo of the shaft.

Last edited:
It'll eventually shear the splines and spin. Replace it now or later. Do you really want to always wonder when that day will happen every time you drive the cruiser?

Do post a photo. My FJ62 has 258K and has never been apart and has no clunks. I, too, wonder what that shaft looks like - but I can guess!

1EC345F4-3EB3-48F4-B0AE-9BC76DC72817.jpeg

Well, since the idler pin and bearings got smoked by debris, looks like I'm doing the gear and a rebuild at the same time.

Oh well, just how these things go sometimes.

20200728_135905.jpg

20200728_135948.jpg

Good call and thanks for the pending order, I appreciate it!

Georg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom