62 rear axle shaft dimensions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
Threads
Rear brakes are dangerously weak, so I took a look-see. Didn't even have to pull a tire... both brake backing plates are showing drooling. Probably not wheel cylinders, but I added a pair of ADVICS to the order for good measure. I also added a pair of outer axle seals which I think are the primary culprit...the drooling hinted of 'that smell'.
The reason for my post is, what size Speedi-Sleeve/Readi-Sleeve should one order for a stock rear 62 SF axleshaft? I see a dimension of 33mm or 1.31 in. diameter but not sure if that's the same dimension at the machined sealing surface?
Just planning ahead to limit downtime, and would rather not use JB Weld or the TIG torch.

I don't know the answer to the speedi sleeve question, but if you are replacing the seal, replace the outer bearings also.

I have a short side rear axle shaft on my bench right now from an 1988 62, the unworn area between the bearing and seal surface measures 47.51mm (1.871 in.).

x3 on replacing the bearing at the same time; and if you do end up installing a speedi-sleeve, make sure it is narrow and doesn't interfere with the bearing. There are only a few mm's between the bearing/seal surface.

I have a short side rear axle shaft on my bench right now from an 1988 62, the unworn area between the bearing and seal surface measures 47.51mm (1.871 in.).
x4 on the bearings, haha. I figured the bearing surface was not the same nominal diameter as the rest of the shaft. Thanks for taking the time to actually measure and respond!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom