62 coming north (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mac

Crew Member
Threads
Well , I bought a rust free 62 from Cali for my 3b/h55 drivetrain to go into. The 62 is an 89 with a bad engine. Cam went thru the block. This will solve my bodywork problem but of course give a whole host of new problems. I'd rather deal with mechanical hurdles than RUST! I'll be making good use of this board.
I like the 62 for its 4:11 gears(I had bought brand new 4:11's for my 60 and hadn't yet installed them. They're for sale if anyone's looking.) I also like the rear sway bar, rear shoulder belts and headrests. I'm not crazy about the headlights- oh well.
I'll turbo my 3b during the swap as it will be easier while it's out of the truck. The paint's not great but I can deal with that later- at least it's not RUST! Anyway, now I just have to figure out the best way to get it home to Vancouver. I'm looking at a tow bar option right now but am open to all of your suggestions. I gotta say, I'm somewhat excited.

Cheers,
Mac

Good suggestion. That's the plan.
Can I retain the 62 fenders and rad support and just change the front grill, headlight surround and lower valance?

Mac

no you will need the rad support and all the metal that the headlights mount too. It is a pretty straight forward swap. The fenders will work.
Daryl

Thanks Daryl.

Mac

this will be a great post! best of luck with the conversion.

Should be fairly straight forward with both vehicles side by side.

make sure and properly preserve that 62 or else the rust will soon appear.

mac said:
Anyway, now I just have to figure out the best way to get it home to Vancouver. I'm looking at a tow bar option right now but am open to all of your suggestions. I gotta say, I'm somewhat excited.

Cheers,
Mac

Mac,
well how far of a drive is it? I used a tow dolly once and didnt like it one bit. If at all possible I would use a full trailer or pay someone to ship it to you.

Glad to see you avoided rust. Thats my main issue as my 62 was originally from Minn. People see it down here in the south and crap thier pants. It gives it character! good luck and keep us posted!

Especially with pics!!!!

Well, it's a good 700 miles or so. What was it you didn't like about the tow dolly? I figure at least it saves the weight of a trailer- these rigs are heavy enough!

BB- Yes, I definitely will be fastidious about spraying my undercarriage and inner panels regularly with rustproof. If you stay on top of things here you can keep the rust at bay. It'll be a couple of weeks before I get the 62 up here but I'll keep the board posted with pics and info.

Cheers,
Mac

Well I am sure it was mostly what I was towing and how I had to load it.

Tow vehicle was my wifes 4runner. 3.4L, AT

Vehicle we were towing was a 63 Impala 4door 327, Powerglide, (real heavy) Had to load it rear tires first (forget why, I think it was dry rot on tires or something).
Then the steering wheel would not lock down like a newer vehicle. So we had to tie the wheel down which kinda worked.

We bought the Impala in Atlanta and we live about 3 hours from there when you do the speed limit. Well it swayed like crazy on anything over 40mph, yeah, it was a really long night.

Again it was probably what I was trying to do with one, as I have heard others with no issues. Anyone else drief a tow dolly?

Post pics!! :)

I pulled a '62 from San Diego to Vancouver for a buddy about 4 years ago. Other than a slow trip up to Gorman and the grapevine and through the mountains in Northern California/Southern Oregon it wasn't a problem and that was with the '82 BJ60.

cruiser_guy said:
I pulled a '62 from San Diego to Vancouver for a buddy about 4 years ago. Other than a slow trip up to Gorman and the grapevine and through the mountains in Northern California/Southern Oregon it wasn't a problem and that was with the '82 BJ60.

HOLY CRAP!! You pulled a 62 with a 60?!? Damn, I gotta admit, the thought crossed my mind but I quickly laughed at myself. I did pull a 3 thousand pound trailer across Canada with my 81BJ60 but a 62 is way heavy. Man, you are inspiring!

Mac

Check out www.uhaul.ca you can price out and book one way rental of a dolly or full trailer. Looks like the 62 is a little heavy for their trailers rated capacity but that wouldn't stop me ;)

mac said:
HOLY CRAP!! You pulled a 62 with a 60?!? Damn, I gotta admit, the thought crossed my mind but I quickly laughed at myself. I did pull a 3 thousand pound trailer across Canada with my 81BJ60 but a 62 is way heavy. Man, you are inspiring!

Mac

Once you turbo the 3B it really isn't that bad. It never had and never will have neck snapping acceleration but when it pulls it just keeps on pulling! We could maintain 70mph most of the time from north of the grapevine through to Redding. My kid pulling her FJ55 back from North Dakota with our '84 BJ60 that was non-turbo was much more of a chore I'm sure.

Ok, getting ready for my trip down to Cali to pick up my 62. I'm actually considering using my 84 BJ60(the engine donor for this project) to go and get this thing. I would flat pull it with a towbar. Am I crazy? What's the towing capacity of the BJ60? Does it change if there's no tongue weight? I'm not in a hurry, don't care about slow, just care about damage.

Mac

Was that the 62 in Santa Rosa? I towed a 60 with a 60 on a 16' dual axle trailer and it was by no means an enjoyable experience, flat towing might be more realistic. Definitely have to have trailer brakes... I didn't. I don't know if a shipper will ship a non-runner but with fuel prices it might not be much more.

Yeah, that was the one. (thanks IH8MUD.com...I hope...) I'm going to hook up a buddy's 60 and pull it around for a while. Should give me an idea.

Mac

You'll want to take it easy up hills so you don't overheat. Watch the pyro if you have one. Also be careful on the downhills as the weight will tend to push you around if your not aware of it. Are you already turbo'd? If not it'll be a really slow trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom