62 center mounted winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wile E Coyote

Out in the streets, they call it murder!
Threads
Search has turned up only dust.
I'm looking for the post(s) regarding a center-mounted winch featured by a fellow from Central or South America as my memory tells me. I came across an older www detailing a very slick version of what I want to copy to a Cruiser. "Foers winch"

I'd like to mount mine at the level of the rear pass floorboards, facing backwards with the winch line initially heading to the rear and ending up at the front bumper. An access hatch would let me get to the winch during use. I have a 1" body lift to help with clearance, but even so, things are very tight right there. I'm greedy and hope to keep the rear heater, as well.

John Foers did that a long time ago. Is that page still up? I recall looking for it a couple years ago and couldn't find it.

The biggest issue that I see is what if the line snarls and you still have some distance to go?

Yep, the Foers' winch I mentioned above. His method was simply elegant, but hard to copy on my 62. The spare tire will have to move, custom rear bumper for the snatch block to mount, front bumper mods for the side-exiting fairlead, I'll likely lose the rear heater, and likely have to add more body lift than 1" to clear the rear d-shaft, etc.
It's still very appealing.
Thanks Toaster for finding the Mud thread. I couldn't find it.

Foers winch www is up and alive: Foers 4WD Winch
Edit: after looking at the Mud thread again, it looks like Diego didn't lift the body at all, and his obviously fits.

Last edited:
Now that I see it, the page that I recall reading was the apparently now defunct http://4wd.sofcom.com/ site. Too bad too, that site had a lot of good info and articles on it.

What I recall of that old article was that Foers had considerable permanent routing guides and pulleys under his truck. Those took the cable around all of the major mechanical items and then brought it back, more or less, to on center at the bumpers. I recall not liking his front hook anchor as it was nowhere near as well thought out and robust as his rear snatch-block anchor, and that the winch was slightly offset to one side or the other such that the freewheel lever was on-center and easy to reach from the driver's seat through a trap door in the floor.

no problem....

I've been lookin around for the best winch mount lately and I decided I wanted to keep the stock look with original bumpers and so I've decideded to do the whole winch chain bar option... and it seems to be a lot less inexpensive than buying a bumper or ever fabricating my own.

WINCH Chain Bar

all I need is to get a reciever mount for a winch and I'm set...

This may not be the direction you're looking to head but i only see it as I'm not looking to use the winch every single time I go out wheelin, so taking the time to set this reciever bar up and run the cables in order to pull me out is totally worth it. Also with this set up I can pull the Cruiser out from any direction and not have to double up with pulleys and snatch blocks.

thats just my 2 cents I'm throwin in to pick your brain and give you some different ideas or options...

-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom