62 alternator on a 60, can it be done? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I happen to have a really good 62 alternator and I was going to put it on my 60. The plugs are different, the 62 is round with 3 wires and the 60 is square with 2 wires. I also have the plug from the 62. My question: can I splice into the plug using only the 2 wire setup on the 60? If anyone has done this, please give me some advice. I would love to have an 80A on this truck.

Thanks

Jason

Anything can be done...It just depends on how much work you are willing to do. Sorry for the smart-assed answer, but I have nothing of value to add and hope this gets you a bump to the electrical gurus here.
Good luck.

Anything can be done...It just depends on how much work you are willing to do. Sorry for the smart-assed answer, but I have nothing of value to add and hope this gets you a bump to the electrical gurus here.
Good luck.
No worries, I appreciate the bump. I can fabricate most things because I'm a cheap SOB! Having an 80A alt would really make me happy with all the electronics that have been added. Thanks

Search didn't provide any results? I'm certain that if it can be done, someone here has done it. Try searching "2FE", there are guys that may have used the 3FE alt on those projects.

Yes, it can be done. I just did it, and haven't had time to do a writeup. The bracket needs to be modified, and there's a minor electrical mod. The bracket needs to be higher, or else the alt will hit. The electrical is pretty easy...the 60 alt has a two prong plug and the 62 has a three prong plug. The difference is the addition of a "S"ensing wire on the 62. This is labeled "S" on the back of the alt, and the best way to do this is to run it directly to the battery postitive post. Get a pigtail with the correct round plug from a wrecking yard for a clean install. The wire colors are basically the same. Black/yellow is the same. Yellow/white is the same. The White wire is the Sensing wire, and is the additional wire.

Lovetoski,

That's great...would really like to see pics of your modified bracket.

Thanks, John

Yes, it can be done. I just did it, and haven't had time to do a writeup. The bracket needs to be modified, and there's a minor electrical mod. The bracket needs to be higher, or else the alt will hit. The electrical is pretty easy...the 60 alt has a two prong plug and the 62 has a three prong plug. The difference is the addition of a "S"ensing wire on the 62. This is labeled "S" on the back of the alt, and the best way to do this is to run it directly to the battery postitive post. Get a pigtail with the correct round plug from a wrecking yard for a clean install. The wire colors are basically the same. Black/yellow is the same. Yellow/white is the same. The White wire is the Sensing wire, and is the additional wire.

I sent you a pm too. This sounds great and too would love pics or read a nice write up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom