62 4WD Engagement Time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got around to installing all of the new hardlines and soft vacuum lines to my 62's transfer case. When I first got the 62 back in 2011, it took quite a while for the transfer case to engage or disengage - maybe 25 - 30 seconds for the light to change state after pushing the button. I figured that was largely the result of vacuum leaks from the failing lines.

Well , It's all back together now after a full-rebuild, and the 4WD engagement still seems to take a little while. It's not nearly as long as before, but it still seems to take anywhere from 5-10 seconds to engage or disengage. It's not super consistent, and seems to vary a bit.

Is that a typical engagement time from pushing the button? The diaphragm does not appear to be leaking from the tests I've done.

Maybe it's just a laggy light switch on the transfer case.
1. Get a helper
2. Jack up one front wheel and lock both hubs.
3. Put transmission in Park and transfer in 2H
4. Go to raised front tire and ask helper to engage 4WD.
5. Immediately try to turn the raised front wheel. If it won't turn immediately after your helper engages 4WD, there's no lag in the mechanical system - just the indicator light.

There's a way easier way to check. Just leave the front hubs unlocked and turn the front driveshaft by hand. If you can turn it, it's not engaged. If you can't turn it, it's engaged. ...which is the test I did. From pushing the button, it takes 5-10 (it varies) seconds for the front driveshaft to lock into the transfer case.

My question was how long should it take for the 4WD vacuum shift motor to engage? I know it won't be instant because it's vacuum going through small hoses, but how long should it take? 3 seconds? 1 second?

Great, that I was looking for. Now to figure out why my actuator moves so slowly.

Wonder if there is a way to remove it without dumping the transfercase fluid contents everywhere....

Solenoids are refurbished and working correctly, and there are all new lines.

I ended up taking compressed air and blowing it alternately into the ports on the T-Case actuator. I didn't seal the nozzle tight against the ports, as that would almost certainly rupture the diaphragm. But I did that a bunch until it eventually it got to the point where I could just aim the air nozzle in the direction of each port and you would hear the actuator engage.

After that, the actuator reliably engaged in 1-2 seconds after pushing the button. I did notice that with it "off" for about 10 minutes after that, it took a long time for it to first engage again, but after that it reliably engaged/disengaged in 1-2 seconds. So it must still just be a little sticky from sitting. I'll work on it some more.

Don't forget to check your ground that goes from the transfer case to the frame.
When I push the button, it takes about a sec. When I shift it in 4-Low and don't push the button, It can take a few sec. with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom