60s with canoes and maybe other boats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scored this old guy for cheap a while back.. finally replaced the Thwart and Carry yoke....
Waiting on OT decals now....

Anybody knows how steps to polish / finish polyethylene ?

1589525278530.png

Ulterior motive :grinpimp:
20200411_200942.jpg

In that second shot it looks like yo
Actually, I was using the hand powered utility crane on the Bamfield government dock to load the dingy (205 lb). Lifted it up slung, 15' from the water, rolled it over then up 7' onto the roof by myself. I was just securing it for the run out the Flora Lake FSR to Youbou.

Loaded with a pair of Dagger Legend 16' canoes and pulling a 14' jon boat with 25 hp Mercury. The rest of this week will be spent on the water conducting aquatic biological work in north Alabama. Even with this load knocked out about 12 mpg :lol:.

View attachment 2085692
Jim what are you using to attach your crossbars to the square tubing of the rack? I have a full wilderness rack stacked in my garage but have been using Yakima crossbars and A1 gutter mounts. My canoes hang down blocking my view of streetlights and I see yours ride higher with the rack under the crossbars. I have 2 78" bars and 1 set of gunwale brackets for the outsides. I'm going to put on the wilderness rack and figure some way to mount the round crossbars.

Jim what are you using to attach your crossbars to the square tubing of the rack? I have a full wilderness rack stacked in my garage but have been using Yakima crossbars and A1 gutter mounts. My canoes hang down blocking my view of streetlights and I see yours ride higher with the rack under the crossbars. I have 2 78" bars and 1 set of gunwale brackets for the outsides. I'm going to put on the wilderness rack and figure some way to mount the round crossbars.

I'm using a home made rack and had 4 angled pieces welded on so that I could bolt on the Yakima crossbars. I'm using Yakima components without the A1 gutter mounts. I think the side rails on the rack are 4" tall and the Yakima bars add a couple of extra inches of height. Altogether this is a solid system.

IMG_4400.JPG
IMG_4402.JPG

Thanks Jim! I have all the components except for a welder. Wife was looking over my shoulder and said, "Fathers Day". I have been needing one for a long time.

I have 3 Old Towne Tripper 17' Royalex canoes. I'll use the forks on the Kubota to set them all up there and figure out a tie down configuration. I have trailers but sometimes it's tough to find parking.

Thanks Jim! I have all the components except for a welder. Wife was looking over my shoulder and said, "Fathers Day". I have been needing one for a long time.

I have 3 Old Towne Tripper 17' Royalex canoes. I'll use the forks on the Kubota to set them all up there and figure out a tie down configuration. I have trailers but sometimes it's tough to find parking.

Two of your canoes on top will be no problem. I often run two 16' Daggers that each weigh about 70 lbs.

Straps are supposed to quick and easy for tie downs, I've never used them. I use a 6 or 7 mm rope to tie down the canoes. I throw a butterfly knot in the rope so that I can tension it well, pull the loose end down to the round bar and do about three wraps with one back under the rope, then repeat two or three more times until most of the line is used. The way I wrap the rope on the bar I can twist it clockwise and tighten it down. This is a very secure method. I also tie down the bow and stern.

IMG_4431.JPG

I like the wraps on the bar, just as effective as the gunwale brackets for lateral movement and not in the way the rest of the time. I also tie the bow and stern to keep it solid. I like how you use the light tabs on the ARB for that. I have been using ratchet straps but the butterfly hitch will work just as good for tightening and won't mar the finish. Are there wraps inside between the canoes or just looped under the bar? For the 3rd canoe I see people using the rubberized blocks and stacking it straddling the gap of the two on the rack. Looks like a pain to tie down. I would only do shorter low speed runs in that configuration. Be easier to just use a trailer at that point though.

I like the wraps on the bar, just as effective as the gunwale brackets for lateral movement and not in the way the rest of the time. I also tie the bow and stern to keep it solid. I like how you use the light tabs on the ARB for that. I have been using ratchet straps but the butterfly hitch will work just as good for tightening and won't mar the finish. Are there wraps inside between the canoes or just looped under the bar? For the 3rd canoe I see people using the rubberized blocks and stacking it straddling the gap of the two on the rack. Looks like a pain to tie down. I would only do shorter low speed runs in that configuration. Be easier to just use a trailer at that point though.

A figure 8 knot on one end of the rope and used to loop it to the crossbar. Each canoe will have two individual lines as tie downs.

I've only carried three boats a few times and that was with one canoe and two white water kayaks. Not sure I'd try 3 17' canoes.

Two of your canoes on top will be no problem. I often run two 16' Daggers that each weigh about 70 lbs.

Straps are supposed to quick and easy for tie downs, I've never used them. I use a 6 or 7 mm rope to tie down the canoes. I throw a butterfly knot in the rope so that I can tension it well, pull the loose end down to the round bar and do about three wraps with one back under the rope, then repeat two or three more times until most of the line is used. The way I wrap the rope on the bar I can twist it clockwise and tighten it down. This is a very secure method. I also tie down the bow and stern.

View attachment 2311122

Gator Jim, I use the loop knot pulley system for everything...watched the old man tie down many a camping tarp that way. Pulleys work!

Not familiar with the butterfly loop, other than what I just looked up. Quick question, is there an advantage to using a butterfly loop knot?...does it release easier? My loop knots are simple but lock hard and are often tough to get out of the middle of a rope.

Gator Jim, I use the loop knot pulley system for everything...watched the old man tie down many a camping tarp that way. Pulleys work!

Not familiar with the butterfly loop, other than what I just looked up. Quick question, is there an advantage to using a butterfly loop knot?...does it release easier? My loop knots are simple but lock hard and are often tough to get out of the middle of a rope.

These butterfly knots are often tough to loosen once they've been tensioned.

Last weekend I made a trip back to Vancouver to pick up the cruiser. I could'nt drive over so I rode my bike across on the ferry. The Nanaimo boat is cancelled so I took the Duke Pt / Tsawwassen boat, so I had to ride my bike all the way from Tsawwassen to North Vancouver. But I had to cross the Fraser River, and the only reasonably close road goes through a tunnel, no bikes allowed. So I brought my packraft and paddled across with my bike since there was no way I was getting on a bus with this killer virus on the loose.

Here it is, the blue thing behind the seat. Life jacket and paddles were in my backpack.

20200509_124823.jpg

After doing the switcheroo, here is the bike on the packraft.

20200509_145316.jpg

20200509_151410.jpg

Luckily I got across before some big freighters went by.

The next day I hiked up Grouse Mountain and saw a grouse.

20200510_133724.jpg

Then after I packed everything up and got the cruiser ready I headed back to the ferry for the trip back. Packraft in the back.

20200518_184934.jpg

2020-05-23 18.00.55.jpg

Is it cheating if I use the forks to throw them up top?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom