60s on Film (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've watched a few different shows, movies, documentaries over the years that have 60s in them.

So why not keep a list of all the great movies or tv shows out there that have a 60 in it?

First up is a Netflix movie I am watching tonight called "The Pirates of Somalia".

It takes place in Somalia and features a 60 with LHD, snorkel, maybe an ARB bullbar (?). They throw two soldiers in the trunk, two in the middle, with a journalist squished in-between, translator and driver in the front.

I like what they did with the rear cargo windows. Kind of a neat retro/shade thing going on. Wonder where you could find these aftermarket items.

Another recent Netflix film I saw was a pretty terrible flick about some dudes who go to Latin America to steal money from a drug lord. No spoilers, but nothing goes the way it was planned.

Its called "Triple Frontier" and the 60 shows up near the end of the movie. Its actually converted into a pickup truck, which is kind of neat I guess. Looks like it has a lift too.

Ozark - another Netflix show, has an FJ60 in a couple of different episodes during Season 2. Ozark is about a messed up finance guy ( Jason Bateman) who gets in deep with drug dealers.

One of the nefarious drug dealers has a really sweet FJ60. In season 2 they use the FJ to abduct a minor in Episode 10 "Gold Coast".

In the first three movies/shows I've found 60s, they have been used 2/3 times for drug dealers vehicle of choice.

Dante's Peak from 1997 (shot is summer of 1996) features a blue FJ60 as Linda Hamilton's character's (Rachel) family wagon. I had the pleasure of working on that movie all that summer of '96. LInda was quite good with it and liked it. Pierce was fond of it, too. I remember all of us piled into and on it for the scene where they go to collect Rachel's son and friends from the closed mine entrance. It was also fun to see it roaring through the falling ash night chaos. The ash was cellulose insulation launched into the air in massive quantities to fall for the length of the shot. Good memories.

@LCnAZ come on, with a story like that I want to see some behind the scenes photos!!

Awesome to hear the background. I'll have to go and dig up some more screen shots.

@LCnAZ come on, with a story like that I want to see some behind the scenes photos!!

Awesome to hear the background. I'll have to go and dig up some more screen shots.

Hahaha. I don't have much of behind the scenes photos from that terrific summer gig in northern Idaho. Frankly, there's no time, and it's something that crew members just don't do as a matter of professional protocol.

Here's a couple. First photo was a scene where the family has just escaped the acid lake, and Grandma buys the farm. The second photo was doing a shot with Pierce's character's red Suburban racing up to where the chopper would soon almost crash upon them...or something like that. I just remember that we were looking down on the Suburban hauling ass. Just before rolling, the effects guys would set off a series of huge compressed air mortar pans filled with the cellulose insulation. It would rain ash for about a minute or so. They also were up on large condors pneumatically pumping it into the air with great velocity to try to sustain the effect longer.

Grimm - detective Nick Burkhardt. He drove an FJ62 and it showed up in numerous episodes. it was filmed all over portland and surrounding areas.

Not to hi-jack here, but been following this thread which offers much the same content, but includes multiple LC models. I added several 60 series to the list in that thread as I am partial to those. My adds included:

Alias - TV series
Halt and Catch Fire - TV Series
The Dantes's Peak reference offered here
And old Pepsi Commercial from the early 2000's featuring formers Dallas Cowboy Great Tony Romo and his FJ62
2017 Utah tourism commercial featuring an FJ62

along with various others. Anyway nice thread I thought I would add here. HTH.

Not to hi-jack here, but been following this thread which offers much the same content, but includes multiple LC models. I added several 60 series to the list in that thread as I am partial to those. My adds included:

Alias - TV series
Halt and Catch Fire - TV Series
The Dantes's Peak reference offered here
And old Pepsi Commercial from the early 2000's featuring formers Dallas Cowboy Great Tony Romo and his FJ62
2017 Utah tourism commercial featuring an FJ62

along with various others. Anyway nice thread I thought I would add here. HTH.

Thank you for the heads up/link. That'll be fun...given it's up to 8 pages!

Also, this thread.

The 60 series chase scene in The Kingdom is a personal favorite.

View attachment 1988465View attachment 1988464View attachment 1988463View attachment 1988462

60 series and 'chase scene'. Not something you would really expect to go together. Ah the irony. I guess it makes some sense. I know in mine I am always 'chasing' traffic so everyday is a chase scene of sorts for me.

Hahaha. I don't have much of behind the scenes photos from that terrific summer gig in northern Idaho. Frankly, there's no time, and it's something that crew members just don't do as a matter of professional protocol.

Here's a couple. First photo was a scene where the family has just escaped the acid lake, and Grandma buys the farm. The second photo was doing a shot with Pierce's character's red Suburban racing up to where the chopper would soon almost crash upon them...or something like that. I just remember that we were looking down on the Suburban hauling ass. Just before rolling, the effects guys would set off a series of huge compressed air mortar pans filled with the cellulose insulation. It would rain ash for about a minute or so. They also were up on large condors pneumatically pumping it into the air with great velocity to try to sustain the effect longer.

View attachment 1988217
View attachment 1988218
so did they actually destroy the cruiser?
i dont recall the details, other then the cruiser gets it in the picture.

so did they actually destroy the cruiser?
i dont recall the details, other then the cruiser gets it in the picture.

Ha...it's been so long since I saw the movie, I don't remember the fate of the 60. Was it swallowed up by the lava when they drove over it? Oh yeah, didn't they smash it into the closed mine to escape the pyroclastic cloud? If so, that was what Pierce was in that got crushed by the collapsing mine shaft.

@LCnAZ I am quickly acquiring a list of old movies to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom