60's FJ body onto 80's BJ chassis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

I've done quite a bit of reading on converting FJ's to diesel, but they seem to be more engine swaps. I really like the look of the 67/68/69 bodies but want the 3B, P/S and front disks. What pain am I going to go through with an early body onto a later diesel frame? 5sp would be nice but I can live with 3 or 4.

If you know of good threads that I may have missed I'd be most appreciative for any advice. Have not sprung for anything yet, but looking ahead to my next addiction fix :whoops:

Gary:

You basically have a choice: fabricate motor mounts (in the old frame) or body mounts (on the new frame).

If it were me, I'd work on finding a solid older body and see where that left me. If the body is solid and clean, then likely the frame is too. And if that were the case, then it would be pretty easy to swap a motor and transmission from a donor truck (the later trucks tend to rust more, in my experience--leaving a good engine and transmission), along with the axles from it (discs in the front, hopefully parking brake in the back).

That said, if you found a solid frame/engine combo from an older truck, and an older body in good shape, then there's nothing wrong with going that way...

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom