60 wont pass smog... what to do...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my cruiser didn’t pass smog. Gary in Sonoma is way too busy. And George In Stockton is unable to help either.

My other option is to register it in Reno Nv ( under my father in-law)

My questions are :
1- Does Reno Nv require smog?
2- is there a smog exempt for a 1984?
3- Would it just be overall “less expensive” to register in Nevada compared to California...?

Will you please post your results, I would check Nevada requirements for smog, exemption is for 75 and older only. I can honestly say it's less expensive outside Cali.

Before I forget post a pic of your ride.;)

I live in Reno, anything post 1968 has to smog. However they have classic vehicle plates for vehicles 25+ years old. The only bummer is that you’re limited to 5k miles a year. And you can’t have a failed smog in the last 90 days.

And don't some guys use a high amount of ethanol (or some other fuel additive) to reduce the emissions, ergo pass the smog?

I thought the goons in CA had ways of determining if you registered/emissioned out of state and the truck was driven in Calif?

Also, post up the numbers. E-85 (or multiple cans of Heet in a nearly empty tank) can help some vehicles pass emissions, because it adds lots of oxygen to the fuel (temporarily). But, whether this will help you depends on which numbers are too high.

I struggled for over a year to pass. Would have taken me less time but like most of us... I have a job, own a company, have a six year old, broke my leg last year (kept wrenching on a knee scooter), a wife who doesn't want me to live in the garage all the time... yada yada yada... I did at least 5 manual tests. If it's failing smog then it's not quite running properly. Although you barely notice with these things. I would say It's in your best interest to get your rig running right before you abandon the state.

Post your results and don't do a state test again until you know you'll pass. Find a smog shop that does manual tests first.

Do you have tools? Are you at all mechanically savvy? I'm a weekend mechanic with absolutely no training what so ever and I got my rig to pass with the help of everyone here and the factory service manual and emissions manual. Granted... I've been building my tool box up for 20 years now.

"READING IS FUNDAMENTAL".... I must have read every thread on here and asked all kinds of questions to the gang here. The most important read was the actual emissions manual. It literally breaks down each and every emissions component.

Here is my first list of questions without knowing anything...
How many miles are on your rig?
How old is your CAT?
When is the last time your head was serviced? Valve adjustment? Compression Check?
Whats your carb looking like?
When is the last time you did a tune up?
How old is your air cleaner?
Did you change your oil before your smog? Surprisingly this helps...
Do you smell exhaust? It's common for exhaust leaks to cause failure.
Is your truck blowing smoke?

Last edited:
Having trouble passing 1984 fj60, 109k original miles, super high CO 10x allowed for California. Tune up 1000 miles ago. Passed CA smog last year then owner replaced cat with Walker cat (was told original was on it's way to failing). Smog place has found some unhooked vacuum hoses and reconnected, adjusted carb, adjusted timing, still no pass. They say needs new exhaust temperature sensor having hard time finding. Tried cruiser.net and Spector offroad, they each had one but defective upon testing. Anyone know where to find or of any aftermarket options?

All the exhaust gas temp sensor does is divert the air pump air if the cat overheats (which surely isn't your problem). You need to be sure your AIR pump is working well and putting all its air into the air rail during the e-test. Unless you have the factory smog manual, it's unlike the shop is going to get the lines connected correctly.

All the exhaust gas temp sensor does is divert the air pump air if the cat overheats (which surely isn't your problem). You need to be sure your AIR pump is working well and putting all its air into the air rail during the e-test. Unless you have the factory smog manual, it's unlike the shop is going to get the lines connected correctly.
Thank you!

Under certain circumstances in Kalif, one can get a smog waiver for two years, until the next test date, but those exemptions usually have to do with income and how much you've already spent on repairs.

The way Kalif finds out if you've registered out-of-State and are living in this once-great not-so-golden Kalizuela Typhus cesspool is if your neighbors drop a dime on you. It's the only way. In fact, DMV publicizes that.

Reg in NV will be much cheaper. The 90-day thing I don't think applies if you're a new resident, however you'd have to change your mailing address to Reno and maybe get the gas or phone bill in your name sent there, just for plausible denial ;)

Or, you can do like the rest of us stuck in this shizz hole of a State and get the Emissions FSM and go thru it one step at a time and test everything, then take for retest with a gallon of Home Depot's premium elixir added to the tank.

Post a pic of your test.

Most places will condemn a Cat converter just because of the age of the vehicle without even diagnosing the real problem. It should be the last thing that should be replace.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you get pulled over with a Calif. address Drivers License and an out-of-state address vehicle registration they will ask you how long you have been living in Calif. They can run your Calif. Drivers License to see how far back your renewals go. They become even more suspect if your out-of-state registration is a P.O. Box. Unless you're Military your in hot water. I know this because years back I knew a guy in San Diego who had an old Unimog with AZ plates and the CHP was always pulling him over asking him where his permanent residence is located. An acquaintance of mine here in San Diego County has all his cars registered in AZ and he has a second legit residence in Yuma, AZ (he owns a mine out by the Co. river).

As others have said, post your numbers (take a pic of the printout).

It could be something very simple. Or not... but running it by the forum here is free.

I recently failed because of a single plugged vac line (that and a combination of forgetfulness and overconfidence). Couldn't figure out why. Contemplated all of the get-overs (Nevada, rural counties, etc). Figured out the vac line thing and boom, passed like a Prius. Ashamed to have ever cursed my carb.

I'm not saying this is the same situation as yours, but not all CA smog issues are terminal. Just annoying as hell.

This is initial read out, I have not seen the latest they say they got it much better by plugging back in some loose air lines, adjusting carb, timing...but still not there CO still high

Yeah, it looks like the AI system (air injection) wasn't working. That includes your air bypass valve, smog pump (air pump) and air injection rail. When it's all working right you should have something other than 0.0 in the %O2 box on the printout. And since it pumps air into the air rail at lower speeds, it should bring down both HC and CO on your 15/25mph tests.

But 8.93 is way up there for CO... higher than just a faulty AI would account for. Are you burning oil?

Did they get the HC down to passing?

The good news is that your NOx is low, meaning the EGR is working.

As said above, the temp sensor for the cat is important to have, but it's probably not causing the problems here.

I'm not saying this is the same
Having trouble passing 1984 fj60, 109k original miles, super high CO 10x allowed for California. Tune up 1000 miles ago. Passed CA smog last year then owner replaced cat with Walker cat (was told original was on it's way to failing). Smog place has found some unhooked vacuum hoses and reconnected, adjusted carb, adjusted timing, still no pass. They say needs new exhaust temperature sensor having hard time finding. Tried cruiser.net and Spector offroad, they each had one but defective upon testing. Anyone know where to find or of any aftermarket options?

@65Homer56 Sorry to go off topic, but did you buy the really nice one that was listed on eBay about a month ago? From Idaho, I believe.

Since Homer posted his VIN, I ran it through the BAR smog check history. There are only three CA smog checks on file, suggesting the vehicle was out of state prior to 2018. Unless you have gone through all the emissions trouble shooting already, I would recommend (1) replacing the vacuum tubing (thereby making sure it is routed properly) then (2) do the system checks found in the 2F emissions manual.

You don't say why you need a new CAT temperature sensor...is it missing or does the shop think it is not working? As posted earlier, all it does is provide over-temperature protection for the CAT. If the cat gets too hot, then it stops the Air injection into the exhaust. I suppose if the sensor has failed then the AI system may not be working properly. But the checks from the emissions manual should help identify where the problem is.

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom